How to get rid of a hornet's nest?

meoldchina, Feb 21, 9:43pm
I have discovered a small hornet's nest in a dead Hebe bush that I want to dig out. Can you tell me how to get rid of the hornets! Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

favouriteseller, Feb 21, 10:53pm
could it be paper wasps !

usually have small paper type nest made of several cells hanging from a branch !

if so not usually agressive , and if no wasp about you could just squash the nest between a couple of bricks and / or just cut off

eezy1, Feb 22, 1:18am
fly spray drops them real quick

trad, Feb 22, 1:37am
In the past I have just given the nest a good dose of fly spray.

meoldchina, Feb 22, 1:45am
You are right, Favouriteseller. I have mistaken paper wasps for hornets. I will go armed with a can of fly spray and then run for cover! Many thanks all.

pedulla, Feb 22, 3:00am
i think if your going to spray best done at night but could be wrong

elect70, Feb 22, 3:31am
^^ yes when they are insidewe used petrolin past, it smothers themi wouldnt trust fly spraythey are likely to come roaring out .

sanders4, Feb 22, 5:40am
Fly spray is best, I have dealt to over 100 of these nests. Next day remove nest and put in plastic bag and then rubbish bin as pupae can still hatch out as they can be protected from fly spray.

squeaking, Feb 22, 8:11am
For every paper wasp that is not killed during the summer if they survive the winter they will come back next year and make their own nest,if you do the math its not a good look, they are usually found on the sunny side of a tree etc,

astroflight1, Feb 24, 5:06am
You get hornets in NZ!

amph981, Feb 24, 6:15am
Paper wasps use fly spray kill wasps and then crush nest. German wasps are nasty if you upset them their nests are usually underground or in holes in banks.We removed one once by waiting until dusk when most were roosting and poored metholated spirit down the hole they didn't like that, killed them and we dug the nest out and think a hedgehog must have eaten it as it was gone in the morning

meoldchina, Feb 24, 9:16am
You've found my English roots, astroflight! I saw this nasty-looking wasp-type thingy and it reminded me of the hornets we had in the old country!I made the assumption that they were hornets. After 15 years here, I'm still learning. And thanks to those who recommended using fly spray. It has worked wonders.

nfh1, Feb 24, 9:20am
LOL - I had a hornet's nest in a garden wall where I used to live in the UK.The council came to remove it - they are really nasty insects and very large, you do not want those around.

Do paperwasps sting!

edenrose, Feb 24, 10:36am
Yes,they do!They are very aggressive.Some people get nasty red swollen lumps, from the stings, which are really painful and take ages to go away.

mrfxit, Mar 21, 4:02pm
Some important hints about using flyspray.

Wear shoes/ jeans & a long sleeve shirt (buttoned up) & a hat /head cover of some sort, if you have long hair, TIE IT UP

Get close to the nest FAST (don't much about)
Spray HEAPS of spray directly on the nest until you see the nest going white
Get out of there ASAP & leave it alone for a couple of hours