Wasp nest

Page 1 / 2
gypsymeg, Jan 3, 10:11pm
have a 1970,s house hip and gully roof,in one corner of the house at the bottom of the hip above the sufit where the flashing ends have got a wasp colony made their home. at the moment i am trying flyspray squirted in great quantity in under the roofing iron. any other permanent solutions out there?

kitty179, Jan 3, 10:47pm
I wouldn't try, personally. Would call in an expert. Otherwise you could risk getting badly stung if you get the little varmints riled up.

gypsymeg, Jan 3, 10:54pm
i am doing the spraying at night while they are sleeping

maclad, Jan 3, 10:55pm
Depends if they are German or Paper wasps.

tegretol, Jan 3, 11:23pm
Racism at it's worst.

muppet_slayer, Jan 4, 1:39am
I got tapped by a paper wasp last week, was more of a WHACK! as I tried to hook the barbie up to the gas. The little menaces had built their nests under the barbie where the gas bottle sits. I put malt vinegar on the sting and it actually worked, stinging burn actually subsided. Had minimal swelling and itching, was all gone in 2 days.

autumnwinds, Jan 4, 2:03am
Post of the week.
Wooshed over a few heads, though.

autumnwinds, Jan 4, 2:17am
Rather than ordinary flyspray, use Mortein's Barrier spray - far more effective, longer effective "life", and a longer "reach" for the spray.

There's also a powder that one can buy from some nurseries and from farmer's supply stores that I used to use on the varmints when I lived in Pelorus Sound and had to deal with them in the bush surroundings, but sadly I can't remember the name of it.

I rigged up a puffer system that worked through a thick clear plastic pipe, about 7-10 mm wide, a thin (so squeezable) plastic bottle with the powder, some duct tape, and a pair of oldfashioned fire bellows! (one gets very inventive living at a boat-access only property, just call me Ms McGuiver!). That tube was flexible but able to push through brush, and could get right inside the nests with caution. D.o.C. would be able to give you the name of the powder. And a mask and wet weather gear save you from most stings, but do at dusk, for best results and quieter beasties.

mechnificent, Jan 4, 8:44am
Yeah, a bit of garden hose, poke it into a jar/bag of powder insecticide so some gets up the pipe, then feed the hose end up there. and blow.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 4, 9:07am
Ha! My self discipline at not commenting on the errant apostrophe though.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 4, 9:08am
Supermarket flea powder. Much cheaper, and just as effective.

Don't breathe it in though.

budgel, Jan 4, 10:21am
Before I retired I used to quite frequently come across paper wasp nests in my work as a builder. After having been stung a couple of times when using flyspray which doesnt kill them all instantly, I hit upon the idea of throwing a cup of petrol on the nest. You can come up from underneath or above, whatever is required, and it kills them instantly. Petrol evaporates pretty quickly, although if you use two stroke it leaves an oily residue.
Cheap and effective, and not dangerous if you use common sense.

articferrit, Jan 4, 10:21am
Im pretty sure you cant buy Carbaryl any more, Id go with the flea powder, sprinkle it liberally in and around the entrance where the wasps have mainly been going in at night using a spoon taped to a garden stake, or the garden hose as #9 suggested.

mechnificent, Jan 4, 11:58am
Paper wasps are pretty harmless, And weren't they bought in to get rid of some pest ?
I don't bother killing them. They don't attack unless you are real close, and if you back away they go back to what they were doing, and it doesn't hurt too bad if they do ping you. If they are accessible you can just walk straight up to the nest before they notice you are there, and whack the nest off the wall, or even just use your hand like a rake and drag the nest down from behind. Then stomp on it.

The germans ones I definitely kill !

gypsymeg, Jan 4, 12:07pm
these ones are yellow and black stripes, seem to be smaller han the german wasps

mechnificent, Jan 4, 12:11pm
Yeah I'd kill those. They sound painful and aggressive. (like some of the people in here. haha).
But it's quite likely they were bought in for a reason. A lot of the wasps are.

mechnificent, Jan 4, 12:12pm
Not this thread of course.

smyrnia, Jan 4, 4:03pm
You probably have the common wasp then.
Superficially similar to the German but not quite.
Equally a pain.
Have a look here
https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/wasp-wipeout/99713272/be-in-the-know-this-summer-to-wipe-out-paper-wasps-in-our-urban-battlegrounds

redhead96, Jan 4, 4:08pm
"No wasps" powder seemed to work well for us to get rid of some wasps that had taken residence in the roof.

starseeker, Jan 4, 4:28pm
Put the apostrophe in 'its' if you mean 'it is'. The apostrophe indicates that there is a missing letter - or so I was taught 60 something years ago. But I think all that careful teaching has gone by the board. Today we are lucky if our young ones can read, or write in a fashion which can be understood

tegretol, Jan 4, 6:00pm
You must be a pommie grammar teacher then?

mechnificent, Jan 4, 6:17pm
A professor of English literature or some such thing told me that for every rule in English. there is an exception.

mechnificent, Jan 4, 6:20pm
I always flick a match at it to clean up.

reb53, Jan 4, 6:25pm
And is there an exception to that rule ?
If there is, the rule doesn't hold.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 4, 6:58pm
Gerroff. I am kiwi through and through, man! Pure jaffa, me.