Wasp nest erradication

aurora5, Jan 6, 1:23pm
whats the most effective method to get rid of wasps nesting in the bottom of an old tree .You can get puffer pack (Dust ) or Spray bottle or Spray can from hardware centres or nurseries . Keen to here you comments on best method.

trade4us2, Jan 6, 5:02pm
I just spray the nest with Mortein Surface Spray. They seem to die instantly.
Do not stand under the nest when spraying it!

maclad, Jan 6, 5:18pm
These sound like German or Common wasps, not paper wasps, and need to be treated with caution. They are dangerous and will attack. I have treated many wasp nests other than paper wasps which are easy to do with flyspray
With the other varieties I have found Dust to Wasps very effective and it works fast. However I do not like the puffer pack as it is too slow and extends the time during which you may be stung. I empty enough powder into something like a small measuring cup so it can be emptied far faster into the nest entrance. Petrol works well too. Do this early AM or at night when wasps are less active and try to put on some sort of protective clothing, eg raincoat, leggings, hat, gloves and protect the face.

luigi21, Jan 7, 8:54am
I fixed em ! Just filled a wine bottle 3/4 full of petrol and jammed it upside down into the hole a walla next morning and 3 days later all gone . Warning though Do NOT light the Petrol as that would be too dangerous.

cantabman1, Jan 7, 9:00am
Carberal!
Go to your local nursery and ask for it. At night when they are tucked up in bed and not a threat, sprinkle it all around the entrance to the nest. It will end up with the Queen and that's all he wrote.

golfdiver, Jan 7, 9:33am
They aren’t allowed to sell carbaryl anymore, but they have replaced it with. Permethrin and diamaceous something or other mixture.

strathview, Jan 7, 9:39am
I still have some carbaryl and whlle it was quite old stuff it worked a treat on the nest of german wasps under the roots of our apple tree. Just waited until dark and tipped it into the hole. Do not use anything to puff it in as the air current disturbs the wasps. Beat a very quick retreat after you have tipped it in.

andrewcg53, Jan 7, 1:04pm
Replaced with NO Wasps Eliminator

westward1, Jan 7, 1:29pm
However you do it, make sure you eradicate the horrid things at night.

mecanix, Jan 7, 1:33pm
Wait till dusk. They come home to sleep.

A couple of cans of fly spray. Job done.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 7, 1:47pm
Cheaper and just as effective is the flea powder from your local supermarket. Empty the container into a pile covering the entrance at dusk. They'll take it inside and kill off the nest.

gutterblack, Jan 7, 2:07pm
. and the survivors will go hunting for cats & dogs

golfdiver, Jan 7, 7:01pm
Those that don’t get sprayed survive. I had a big nest in a bank. Tried several quality cans of spray, tried petrol, in the end I used carbaryl and nuked them all.

maclad, Jan 7, 7:08pm
Using fly spray on anything but a paper wasp nest is silly, foolhardy and most unlikely to achive success. I think posters need t ID properly just what type they are dealing too. Paper wasps are easy peezy, not so the rest of them

sanders4, Jan 7, 7:22pm
luigi21 has the best answer, always worked for me - no insect can survive petrol fumes.

aurora5, Jan 13, 10:29pm
did the petrol thing on Monday, and covered with soil quickly.Have not seen a wasp since.thanks for all you advice. very quick result.

harrislucinda, Jan 14, 4:31pm
yes that is how we did it

mrfxit, Jan 14, 8:59pm
Yep petrol, cheap & very effective.
Ppl just have to remember that it's the fumes that kill the best

peacebird15, Jan 17, 11:18pm
We deal with a half dozen nests a year using those wasp spray cans, nails most of a nest in the middle of the day within an hour

daves01, Jan 10, 5:14pm
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiikqsFCXlqh4lPxHvoDEJw

Bloke up in Auckland, check out some of his wasp zapping videos