Wasp Nests

Page 1 / 2
christin, Mar 8, 3:02am
Try flicking some carbaryl powder on the wasp if you can't reach the nest, they should track it back in.

Can you put some on a straw or something and reach with that!

cantabman1, Mar 8, 3:03am
No big problem here. Just go to your nursery and buy Carberel. Its an insecticide that you would normally mix with water for a vegie/fruit spray.
Just sprinkle it all over the entrance hole late at night after they have settled down.Each time they walk thru the stuff, it will end up with the queen and the lavae. try and make the entrance a little smaller, so they have to walk thru the trap of powder.Keep topping it up each night.

mm12345, Mar 8, 3:09am
It could be anywhere under the house.If you can't get at the nest entrance easily or crawl space is limited, possibly something like a "Borafume" ( http://www.kiwicare.co.nz/pest/products/product-list/no-bugs-borafume/ ) set off under the house just after dark may be the way to go.
I'd suggest you don't go crawling around under the house unless you've got protective gear including full beekeeper's helmet - or they'll find you before you find their nest entrance.That looks like a german wasp - they can be extremely aggressive with large nests at this time of year.
If you did know where the entrance is, then dusting the entrance with carbaryl powder in the early evening is the way to go.

rover79, Mar 8, 3:33am
Cheers, will go get some.
Yea, not keen on going under house as its crawl all the way under there, as a youngster I learnt that it doesn't take much to upset them, and go into attack mode as a swarm in a second.
Did I read somewhere that a bowl of beer does wonders, that might have been for something else.

deathrockboy, Mar 8, 3:39am
Beer is snails, not wasps.
Don't get the two confused. A wasp nest like this will contain thousands of wasps and all beer will do is give them something to drink.

rover79, Mar 8, 3:44am
Thought it was for something else.
These wasps seem to be going in and out of one place, and that is at one house vent.
Thats not a nice thought, thousands of wasps under the house.

mm12345, Mar 8, 3:47am
Bowl of beer is for snails and slugs in your vege garden.
Yep - I think the "borafume" is probably the way to go in this case.Perhaps close off as many sub-floor vents as you can get to easily (and without upsetting the wasps) with paper or plastic and tape.If you can work out roughly where the nest may be, try to set it off in that area.
In different circumstances - when the nest entrance can be got to easily, carbaryl power is the way to go.I see people suggesting petrol and fly-spray, but the chances of getting the nest very angry is way too risky IMO.
With carbaryl, the wasps stay calm and die quietly.

rover79, Mar 8, 4:07am
Will I need to block off all the other vents around the house, it looks like they are going in and out of one vent.
If the powder goes at one vent are they likely to use another!
They don't seem to mind having their photo taken but they wont stay still long enough for a good pic.

mm12345, Mar 8, 4:19am
I'd just try to close off vents to keep the fumes from the borer bomb under the house as long as possible.You could try dusting the vent they're using with carbaryl - that would be nice and easy, but not sure if they'd get enough back to the nest to nuke it.

poce, Mar 8, 4:57am
Had one in our roof few years back, the nest was size of a small mini and had only been there a couple on months.

rover79, Mar 8, 5:06am
how did you get rid of it, its a wonder the ceiling didn't collapse, there must be a fair weight in a good sized one.

squeaking, Mar 8, 7:01am
you have the German wasp nest, they are very agressive, it only takes one hit from one of these and they leave a scent mark for the others to come and attack you i hope you have life insurance if your crawling under your house because they will move faster than you i had a nest 1mtr deep by about 400mm wide and it filled up 2x 20litre pales just with wasps, work out how many in there!, get the pro's in! its a lot healthier

smirre78, Mar 8, 7:37am
This is quite simple really, just partly block the vent holes with wads of paper so the wasps have to crawl in rather than fly in and then put some carbarylpowder on the paper. The wasps will drag it back to their nest and in 24 hours it will be all over. Best do it early in the morning before they start flying

cantabman1, Mar 8, 10:18am
If you hadread my earlier post, that is exactly what i have already said.

liggy2, Mar 8, 8:15pm
Fly strike powder is good too but toxic.

rover79, Mar 9, 12:22am
They only seem to be using a few of the top vents for access. They're either dragging it all in or it is blowing away with the draft, hope thats not the case. Quite a mild day here today, not much coming and going but not sure if its worked, or not quite warm enough for them.
will keep tipping some on the top edge through the day if there is very little activity.
Does it really work that quick, hard to believe when you think of thousands in a nest.

woody89, Mar 9, 12:35am
If there's a possibility the powder is blowing away, squirt some water on the areato dampen it & then sprinkle the powder on.

smirre78, Mar 9, 8:52am
sorry cantabman, but with my one finger typing system and lack of reading ability I was just trying to help. I do beg your foregiveness.

morticia, Mar 9, 8:58am

cantabman1, Mar 9, 8:04pm
:-]

mm12345, Mar 9, 9:32pm
This is a nice sized beast - perhaps we should introduce them as "biological control" against wasps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=1oshSLDAQNo
Second thoughts - perhaps not.If these ever got to NZ accidentally, they'd probably thrive here.

jason60, Mar 10, 5:03am
Im no expert but 19 is still warm enough. Wasp were flying around here today in 15 degrees and drizzle

mm12345, Mar 11, 4:41am
Did you nail them!(Be very careful checking it out).
I got stung today - we raided our back-yard beehive on Saturday, collected a mass of honey, probably 40kg or so. The bees are not very happy about having their honey stolen - we can look down from our house above the hive, there are many guard bees very actively prowling and checking everything out withing 5-10 metres from the hive. They are really pi$$ed off.I was hanging out some washing,and one zoots at me, then within about 1/2 a second more arrive.Normally, the idea is to stay calm and gently retreat, but when they're truly on the attack - forget it and run inside - or to somewhere dark.I high-tailed it as fast as I could - heh - with a beeline of a few dozen very angry determined bees chasing me.One whacked me on the arm before I got to the door - and a few followed me indoors.A bee can fly at 25km/h - I expect a wasp is just as fast or faster.A bee stings once - a wasp can get you many times.Don't underestimate them.

rover79, Mar 11, 6:58am
I hope so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Still looks like a bit of stuff got tracked in today, have had a look a dozen times for a minute each time and only seen one flying around, buzzed around the hole but didn't go in.
Don't like the idea of going under to find out.
If they're using somewhere else I could be in for a shock.
I needsome sandblasting head gear, should beable to buy them from a hardware store.
Do I actually need to clean out the dead wasps and nest, I;ve a funny feeling other wasps might find it and take up residency, does that happen!

mm12345, Mar 11, 7:18am
If there are still a few wasps around be very careful.
Don't worry too much about digging up the nest. Once you're sure they're all dead and if you can get to it,give it another dose of carbaryl and fill the entrance with dirt.
A helmet won't do - full beekeeper's suit with head protecting veil zipped and sealed to the suit, thick gloves, legs sealed over boots etc. is needed. If there's a gap or hole somewhere, they'll find it.