Soapy water kills wasp

billyfieldman, Aug 22, 1:21am
Can this work on New Zealand wasps?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX32S2BHKXk I have two tennis-ball sized nest along the fence. The adult wasp are hiding between the nest and the top of the fence. I can see a few of them huddled together as though asleep and they look like the one in the picture below. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/wasp1-400x495.jpg

mrfxit, Aug 22, 5:27am
Speed & consistency of doing anything is the key factor with killing the nests.

I often simply use a large rag to mop up the nest.
Harder to reach nest can be dealt to with a very heavy dose of fly spray
Sometimes a flat board is all I need to flatten the nest

mrfxit, Aug 22, 5:27am
Soapy water . = asking for trouble

junie2, Aug 22, 7:30am
I haven't watched the video, but feel pretty confident that soap and water would not kill wasps. We keep bees, so have had a lot of experience with wasps, which are the nastiest toughest things ! With nests we find the opening ( there are often two ) and just on dark we poison with petrol or the commercial powder, and then block entrances completely and/orcover with soil. OP - sounds like your nests are quite small, but I would still take lots of care ( and multiple cans of flyspray).

sparkyz, Aug 22, 8:24am
Destroying the nest

Place a dessert spoonful of insecticide at the nest entrance after dark when the wasps have stopped flying. You can use a puffer bottle for this job.
Worker wasps flying in and out will spread the powder into the nest and the colony usually dies within a day. If activity continues repeat the treatment until wasp activity ceases.
Don't shine your torch into the nest or wasps will fly up the beam.

What poisons to use

There is a range of insecticides available from hardware and garden stores. These include Wasp Killer Dust and Permex Insect Dust, which have permethrin as the active ingredient, and Rentokil Wasp Killer and No Wasps Insecticidal Dust, which both use carbaryl.
Follow the safety instructions supplied with the insecticide.

Above is from DOC website.

mrfxit, Aug 22, 9:44am
Petrol fumes/ insecticide powders etc work well for ground based nests.
It's the wall based nests that I was talking about.

aredwood, Aug 22, 11:38am
Then just use fly spray on them. Also an aerosol can of CRC kills them much faster than fly spray if you get a good direct hit on them.

cantabman1, Aug 22, 9:34pm
You must use Carbaryl powder,
Only apply it at night time when the wasps are not active. Place it around the entrance to the nesting site.As the wasps go in and out, they will take the powder to the brood chambers on their feet and it will kill everything inside.
If there is any life after a few days, apply some more.

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 23, 1:07am
Supermarket pet flea powder works a treat at a fraction of the cost.

pinnochio1, Aug 23, 1:44am
Don't use flyspray it only makes them angry. Use CRC or Petrol in a spray bottle almost instant kill of everything in the hive, so do it at dusk when they are all back in the nest. My experience is you don't need any protection as when they have a dose of petrol they are more concerned about their own problems and will not attack you, with flyspray they will.

mrfxit, Aug 23, 3:12am
When I mentioned flyspray, It was in very heavy wetting doses.
LMFAO, yea can see it now, someone standing 2 meters away spraying short 2 second bursts & wondering why they are getting stung.

The likes of CRC/WD40 mostly make it so they can't fly again.

marte, Aug 23, 11:06am
Anything that can still sting you when its dead is extra suss to me.

Oh, Clove oil is a bee and wasp attractant, which explains why I was the only person to get stung in sooooo many situations.

sanders4, Aug 23, 11:17am
have killed more than 20 paper wasp nests with fly spray and have 100 per cent result but also put nest in freezer after spraying to kill larvae that may hatch later. german wasp nests in ground have been destroyed with petrol fumes - tip in 500ml petrol after dark and cover hole with brick - never fails.

budgel, Aug 23, 10:32pm
Tipping a cup of petrol onto the nest kills all the wasps immediately with none left buzzing around.

skin1235, Aug 23, 11:37pm
most didn't read the first post
what you have is paper wasp - queens and their wintering nests, she may have a dozen workers with her, they built the nest and she laid the eggs inside, the workers will tend to them until they die - and they will, frost and age will see them gone - the queen will be hiding, in hibernation, and waiting for warmer weather
the nests are often smaller than tennis balls, tucked up under any protection she can find, often more than one in the immediate area

and you cannot knock them off with carbryl powder cos it won't stick and the opening is usually tucked well in behind the nest

you need as suggested, a good spray with petrol or crc ( but crc cans are notorious for jetting, not spraying in a wide fan or cone)
a $2 spray bottle with kero or petrol or a mix is fine, spray until the nest begines to dissolve, then leave the area for a while - the nest is destroyed, all nymphs are dead, there maybe a few workers that escape but they cannot start a new nest ( willnot start a new nest unless there is a queen present
at this time of the year you'll find queens tucked up all over the place - in the corrugations of shed roofs is a particular favourite, sometimes 3 or 4 per corrugation - dozy half asleep wasps, easy to step on when removing iron etc, also easy to kill - simple can of fly spray along the purlins in the wood shed etc will knock out several hunderd new hives next season

maclad, Aug 23, 11:57pm
You are so right skin1235, great advice. I destroy many of these nests every year I do only use fly spray but large amounts and very quickly. I have seen a can of wasp spray, in an aerosol can which will deliver a strong jet from several feet away. Perhaps this could be an alternative for the wary ones. Guess it is available somewhere like Farmlands. I also destroy a few German wasp nests annually and use either Carbaryl powder or liquid or petrol. I'm in favour of petrol now as it is fast to apply and fast to act. Only been stung about 6 times in 10 years.

tim41, Aug 26, 5:51am
Carbaryl is no longer available ,has been taken off the market in nz,if you find some buy it

cantabman1, Aug 26, 6:51pm
I pick up lots of it in garage sales.

macandrosie, Aug 27, 7:49pm
we used petrol and lit it to kill wasps nest, it was in a bank, but two goes to eliminate them! they are pretty tough!

golfdiver, Oct 17, 2:54pm
Yep paper wasps. Easy to kill. A decent fly spray or I've also found when I encounter them on roofs, the moss spray terminates them quick smart. So basically disinfectant