Wasp nest in ground - Wasp powder or Petrol?

richardmayes, Jan 15, 11:57pm
Never had to kill a wasp's nest before. Entrance is a 10cm x 5xm rotten hole in the top of a tree trunk.

I understand that the dust is designed to be tracked into the nest on their feet, for killing nests that are hard to get at.

However my nest looks like it would be the easiest thing in the world to pour petrol straight into the top and flood the whole nest when they are asleep tonight.

Any words of wisdom or warning? Thanks in advance!

wasgonna, Jan 16, 12:00am
x1

If you have a wasp nest in the ground, you might be wondering how to get rid of it. Two options that you might consider are using wasp powder or petrol. While both methods can be effective, it's important to understand the risks and benefits of each.

Does Petrol Kill Wasps?

Yes, petrol can kill wasps. If you pour petrol into the entrance of a wasp nest, it can flood the entire nest and kill the wasps inside. However, there are some risks associated with using petrol to kill wasps.

Will Petrol Kill Wasps?

While petrol can kill wasps, it's important to understand that it is also highly flammable and can be dangerous to use. If you're not careful, you could accidentally start a fire or cause an explosion. Additionally, petrol can be harmful to the environment and other animals if not used properly.

Wasp Powder or Petrol?

When it comes to dealing with a wasp nest in the ground, both wasp powder and petrol can be effective. However, wasp powder is generally considered to be the safer option. Wasp powder is designed to be tracked into the nest on the feet of the wasps, which can help to ensure that the entire nest is eliminated. Additionally, wasp powder is less likely to be harmful to the environment and other animals.

Words of Wisdom or Warning

If you do decide to use petrol to kill a wasp nest, it's important to do so carefully. Make sure to wear protective clothing and keep a safe distance from the nest. Additionally, it's best to use petrol when the wasps are less active, such as at night. However, we recommend using wasp powder or seeking the help of a professional pest control service to ensure that the nest is safely and effectively eliminated.

richardmayes, Jan 16, 12:05am
x1
I wasn't going to ignite the petrol! I don't really want a visit and bill from the rural fire people.

mrfxit, Jan 16, 12:10am
x1
Lighting the petrol will only kill a few & the rest will be after your BUTT really fast.
It's not the liquid that kill the most, it's the fumes seeping through the nest.
Lighting it will simply kill a few & open the rest of the nest

richardmayes, Jan 16, 12:23am
have just seen a video where a guy puts fly screen netting across the hole to prevent them swarming, and then poisons the nest with soapy water.

Looks quite sensible, maybe I'll give that a try.

https://youtu.be/XF42nrZvb-g

lythande1, Jan 16, 12:24am
No way with the petrol. Silly urban myth and dangerous.
Fly spray works perfectly well.
The only rule is wait till after dark to spray as then the wasps will allbe home. If any are still out - they just start over and build a new nest.

daves01, Jan 16, 1:24am
Work colleague told me recently that they used a flea treatment for cats on some meat next to the nest. Apparently the wasps took this back to the nest and then they all died .

tweake, Jan 16, 1:37am
not an urban myth. it works well and that method is still in use. tho more common for nests in the ground.

trick is to block up the holes. so you need to do it on dusk. one catch can be if there is multiple holes/entrances. need to block them all.

carbaryl powder works well but can be hard to find at times.

flea treatment on meat works well but need to pre feed to make sure they are taking meat. DO NOT USE ANYTHING SWEET.

russ18, Jan 16, 2:18am
x1
A litre of petrol works very well for a silly urban myth.

maclad, Jun 10, 2:42am
This is only for paper wasps, try it on german wasps and you maybe very sorry. In my experience, and I have quite bit, petrol works well as does powder but it is slower. Just do it early AM or late PM when all occupants are home and hopefully sleeping.