Ground that chokes out

00743, Jan 3, 1:21am
weeds. im wanting a ground cover that chokes out weeds in my garden. im forever weeding it and i dont have a foot that likes me standing or using it too much. so was wanting some help.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 3, 1:29am
You need to get rid of the weed seeds first. I'd let them sprout, spray, then let the next lot sprout, respray, and do it all again. When you are getting way fewer seedlings then I'd plant the ground cover and go for one that is low enough that weeds poke uup above it and can be spotted before they seed or crawl. My strawberries do this for me in my raised beds (and are yum!) and in the ground beds I'm using dichondra - the silver one. It's pretty, dense and grows fast by spreading runners but I can plant into it as well for seasonal variety. Might suit you.

biggles45, Jan 3, 1:36am
We have put medium sized pebbles on a couple of borders and that helps. Have had weedmat and several inches of bark in the past too. You will need a slightly raised edging to stop stones/bark ending up in the lawn etc. If you go for bark get a heavy one - cheapy bark (and warehouse bags of bark) is so fine and light that it blows around,

lythande1, Jan 3, 1:41am
About the only thing that truely does that is concrete.
Weedmats, bark, they don't work, and once the weeds get through it makes it much harder to weed.
Best you can do is minimise them, use a ground cover - bergamot - it puts down a mat of roots, or something thick like Thyme.
You'll still get weeds, but not as much.

maclad, Jan 3, 3:48am
Ajuga is good as is Pratia or Pimelia, probably "prostrata", just guessing the full name. Isotoma or bluets, creeping Jenny, a lovely gold foliaged cover. Native Fuschia procumbens. There are so many and I just can't think of their names au moment.
But weeds will still come through until they are established and even then you will still still get the odd cheeky one such as creeping Oxalis. Nothing will keep weeds entirely at bay but some of these will help.

floydandu2, Jan 14, 5:52am
+1 for Ajuga.Spreads and smothers, but is easy to knock back.Very pretty in Spring too.