A wasp nest

kaiser2, Mar 1, 9:39pm
Wasps have found a gap in the outside wall of my house that has enabled them to enter and build a nest between the inside and outside walls. What is the best way to kill them please? Because of their comings and goings I am not willing to approach the gap in the daylight to see exactly how big it is, but I will be able to do so at night.

maclad, Mar 1, 10:27pm
I would suggest that you get in a professional for this but only because they will have equipment which will puff the poison futher into the gap than you probably could. Otherwise you could try NO MORE WASPS in a nozzled pack and I have also seen a spray in a can like flyspray, specially for wasps, the difference is that the contents are discharged in a long strong jet and that may work for you but may need repeat spraying.

paora-tm, Mar 2, 2:28am
I was trimming the hedge a couple of days ago and stuck my hand right onto a nest. Only a small nest fortunately and only 2 or 3 stings.

kiwitrader43, Mar 2, 2:46am
Spray it with mr muscle oven cleaner at dusk.

les6, Mar 2, 6:56am
get a piece of hose ,put a loose plug of cotton wool a few inches into the end,fill the end up with a good tablespoon or so of carbaryl powder.Insert the hose into the nest as far as you can(after dark would be a good time)blow through the hose so you blow the powder into the entrance.Make sure you don`t get your ends mixed up.

hart66, Mar 2, 9:56am
If they're between the walls, there's no way you can see how big the nest is so not much point risking getting stung. If the nest is there, it needs to be poisoned or fumed.

Agree with the poster suggesting that this one might be best left to a pest controller as it's not like one in the ground that you can use something simple like petrol in to fume them out, and getting close to push a hose in to use something like Carbaryl will get you stung long before you've got the job done even at night.

If you take the DIY approach with a product like Carbaryl for the sake of your health apply it through a hose using a puffer, and don't do this:
Unless of course you're happy with a inhaling a lungful of poison.
And re nighttime keeping you safe - you can get close to the nest but as soon as you start to do anything, the wasps will be up and out in seconds and will fly straight up your torch beam to you. Be quick!
(edited for typos)

kaiser2, Mar 2, 10:29am
I grateful to you all for your advice, I am wondering if I was able to seal the hole or gap with something fast acting then would they not die from lack of food or water or something?

budgel, Mar 2, 8:58pm
Yep, if you can do it safely.
The post that tells you to use carbaryl is correct if you want to kill them.

maclad, Mar 3, 3:28am
Another but slower alternative is to mix carbaryl with jam, place in a jar lid and place as near to entrance as you can. Wasps should be attracted to it and it will slowly kill them.

skin1235, Mar 4, 5:02am
and often is the quickest way, I've used a stepladder before, jam and carbryl mixed on the top step, lean it against the wall so the top step is immediately below the opening, the wasps use the top step as a landing pad, all gone within a few hours

oh_hunnihunni, May 8, 9:51am
If you can cover the entrance with the powder they'll take it into the nest as they come and go, and kill themselves for you. Cheap supermarket fleapowder works just as well as anything else, and it's not quite as toxic as some.