Bumble bee nest

Page 1 / 2
rubyl, Nov 27, 2:32am
I have just noticed that bumble bees have made a nest in a tree stump near my washing line. Last year I had a wasp nest in that vicinity and the angry waspsnearly stung one of my dogs to death when they brushed past the nest. I had that nest removed by a pest contractor. I am reluctant to kill the bumble bee nest. Will bumble bees attack dogs if they stray anywhere near the nest!

ro42, Nov 27, 2:42am
Bumble bees have made a nest! Are you sure they are bumbles! Just that bumblebees usually nest in the ground and have little holes that they crawl in and out of. It sounds more like carpenter bees (which can look like bumblebees). According to wiki: "Male bees are often seen hovering near nests, and will approach nearby animals. However, males are harmless, since they do not have a stinger. Female carpenter bees are capable of stinging, but they are docile and rarely sting unless caught in the hand or otherwise directly provoked"

antoniab, Nov 27, 2:44am
Bumbles in the UK nest all over the place - under roof tiles, under ground, in tree stumps, upsidedown pots you name it! I took part in a bumble bee survey when over there as we had two nests on our property and they were trying to find and what they were and protect them.

I dont think bumbles are ones for attacking, that being said if your dog sticks its nose in there, Im sure they might give it a go!

mottly, Nov 27, 3:07am
they aren't aggressive like wasps - leave them there - they'll go when they're done.Gotta love the humble bumble :)

rubyl, Nov 27, 3:12am
Yes they are bumble bees and the nest is at the bottom of the tree trunk in the ground. I am just hoping the nest doesn't become too big because then it will be a danger to dogs. Do bumble bees make huge nests!

lythande1, Nov 27, 3:16am
Bumblee bees have small nests and don't stay in them permanently like bees or wasps.
They won't bother the dog if the dog doesn't bother them.
Unlike wasps, the dog would win anyway, you should encourage the bees, they are becoming endangered. If the dog can't be trusted have a beekeeper come and remove it for you.

etepjavelin, Nov 27, 3:26am
we had a bumble nest at our place, we also have an inquisative dog. she got stung once, and now leaves them alone, the bumble bees will not fly out and attack your dog and in our case our dog was fine within 20 seconds of getting stung, which only happened because she actually tried to bite one of the bumble bees. leave the bumble bees as someone else said THEY NEED PROTECTING

rubyl, Nov 27, 3:33am
Yes I want to protect them and not have to eradicate the nest. I had a horrible experience with the wasps attacking my dogs which has left me a bit wary! Hopefully they will leave eventually.

mottly, Nov 27, 3:37am
Too many people are killing the bees off - be proud that they chose your property to nest :)Your dog will be fine, and so will you.

rsr72, Nov 27, 3:38am
Just stake some wire or plastic netting around the stump to keep the dog away.

rubyl, Nov 27, 3:40am
Good idea. I will do that today. Thanks for all the info everyone.

mokaumoi, Nov 27, 10:47am
Carpenter bees do not live in NZ.

bjane, Nov 27, 6:46pm
Carpenter bees do not live in NZ.[/quote]mason bees do though

pestri, Nov 28, 4:57am
Yes! As an ex pest controller I say, . leave the bumbles alone, they are not aggresive and should not be a problem.

nala2, Nov 28, 6:10am
What if the bumble bee nest is in the wall of your house like ours is at the moment.!

budgel, Nov 28, 6:38am
Charge them rent!

pestri, Nov 28, 7:58am
Have they been a problem for you !Bumbles are usually quite happy to cohabit.

magoo1971, Nov 28, 8:09am
We have had a nest under our house for the last three years :o(.They are a complete nuisance -they are in a high-traffic area and I can't open any windows on that side of the house!Reading I have done suggests they don't return to the same nest year after year but our bumblebees obviously didn't get that memo - there just seems to be more of them each year!

It is impossible to get under the house to remove the nest so we are most likely going to have to get an exterminator in.

chakendrick, Nov 28, 9:02am
Nooo don't kill them. Someone will be able to take them away. NZ is seriously bee deficient already.

magoo1971, Nov 28, 7:13pm
We have a 1900's villa that is built directly on the ground (no foundations) - there is no crawl space beneath the house so absolutely no way even a very small child could get under there let alone a full-grown adult.

thistle4, Nov 28, 9:39pm
Our neighbour has a Bumble bee nest in her roof space. We spend ages just watching the bees going in and out, all sizes from tiny little ones to great big bumbley ones. She is just allowing them the few months that a nest lasts, after all we need bees in our gardens.

http://www.bumblebee.org/faqNests.htm

lythande1, Nov 29, 2:29am
Bet they aren't. What have they done to you! Even if they flew in, they just bumble around until they find the exit. They are way less aggressive than even honeybees.

magoo1971, Nov 29, 3:47am
Harmless till they die inside the house and then get stood on by one of my children.I can remember standing on a dead bumblebee as a child - it was incredibly painful :o(

thistle4, Nov 29, 11:22pm
I'm 64 and I could count on the fingers of one hand how many times I have seen a dead Bumble Bee indoors and I've had nests around the house many times. How many dead Bumble Bees do you get in your house!

magoo1971, Nov 30, 7:24am
At this time of the year two or three a week if I have my windows open - there is one on the windowsill beside me right now.