Please be careful with compost!

jan2242, Jan 3, 4:06am
I have never thought much about potting mix or compost and dealt with thousands of bags over the years. I don't put my face in it or anything stupid. Now I am terrified. Just out of hospital with pneumonia caused from this stuff. Still have so many plants to plant that I will be wearing a mask just in case.

maclad, Jan 3, 4:29am
And gloves too I presume

delmic, Jan 3, 4:45am
legionaires disease is pneumonia cased by potting mix. similar to psittacosis.
(spelling come up). .but google would sort it. Ive had psittacosis. nearly died.
not to be used in enclosed spaces

maclad, Jan 3, 4:59am
Only if it is dry and then the spores become easily airborne, always moisten a few hours before using as well as taking above precautions.

samanya, Jan 3, 5:04am
Most of us know the dangers but get a bit 'slap happy' so thanks for the reminder & I hope you are OK now.

breness, Jan 3, 8:41am
Not nice for you at all. My tip is to cut the top off Potting Soil and Compost Bags the day before I want to use it in the hope all the nasties escape. I am still very careful when handling it though. Keep safe out there all you gardeners.

melford, Jan 3, 8:45am
Yes thanks for the reminder - I am very aware of the problem as a friend developed legionnaires disease. Sorry to hear it affected you and hope you are better now. Oh and by the way when I open a fresh bag of compost I wear a mask that I bought from the chemist only cost $1. I believe it is most risky when the bag is first opened.

summersunnz, Jan 3, 9:49am
Hope you heal well Jan.

It always surprises me that people on gardening shows don't wear a mask and gloves. I also wear safety glasses. even though I use my own compost, not purchased bags, I'm still careful after my friends sister ended up in hospital.

lythande1, Jan 3, 6:21pm
Never use the stuff. Ingredients are poo and ground up bark and tree trimmings.
Rubbish. Far better to make it yourself.
I have a limited amount of lawn so even with the kitchen scraps and recyclings from garden, I still also get some from friends to add.

Works for both of us, I get her lawn clippings and leaves, she doesn't have to worry about disposal.

dibble35, Jan 3, 9:08pm
Isnt it funny, i've worked in plant nurseries for the last 20 years and never has anyone i've worked with got legionnaires disease, and we deal with tonnes and tonnes of potting mix. At work at the moment we are going thru a health and safety regime with the boss and advisers, we cant do this, that or the other, yer not once has anyone suggested we wear face masks to stop us potentially getting legionnaires. I would say we are much more at risk of getting that than accidentally eating possum poison out of the bait stations because it wasnt labelled correctly.

maclad, Jan 3, 10:32pm
Potting mix in a plastic bag is very different to loose mix. It is an ideal breeding ground for it. I know someone who got Legionnaires and he almost died, among other things his temperature rose so high he almost cooked from the inside out, not nice.

brightlights60, Jan 4, 7:49am
Its not just compost and potting mixes. Be very wary of mixing your common garden poisons, pesticides and herbicides. The danger is in the mixing (and applying), wear full protective gear, gloves, overalls and mask.

brightlights60, Jan 4, 7:54am
Not actually true, there is more education about it nowadays. Wife did a horticultural diploma and a whole paper on the health and safety aspects of using everything from poisons to fertilizers and compost. You have no idea of the cancers our parents and grandparents died of, and a lot can be related to using these products without safety gear. The truth is that it is the accumulative effect (using these products over time and being exposed to them) that causes disease etc. Better to be safe than sorry. It doesn't take a lot to wear safety gear and be aware of what's in things. Always always read the label and the warnings on anything to do with the garden.

venna2, Jan 4, 8:23am
How about Zoo Doo? I buy that occasionally as it's from a good source (animal dung) and the proceeds go to a good cause (sheltered workshops).

paix1, Jan 4, 9:19am
Yep - I am a keen gardener and am METICULOUS when working with compost - use gloves, high quality mask etc. Two reasons - I have a serious lung disease so lungs already compromised. Secondly, late DH got Legionnaires disease and it almost killed him (he recovered & died from non related illness). So yes, a timely reminder OP
. edited: and dibble - if you are not being advised by your H&S people to wear masks when in contact with compost, they would be in SERIOUS trouble if caught.

rich1969, Jan 4, 9:26am
Is the risk from the bagged compost you buy ? Is there any risk from your own compost?

brightlights60, Jan 4, 9:44am
The threat is in the bagged compost. In fact, it should have a warning on it (as should all potting mixes) to open in a well ventilated space. Doesn't hurt to wear a mask as well. Nothing wrong with your own home made compost or zoo doo.

rich1969, Jan 4, 10:11am
Thanks for that,cheers

dibble35, Jan 4, 7:31pm
Thats why I commented, these are professional people the boss has contracted/paid for so he pays lower ACC payments (not sure of the ins and outs/how it works), but we have been working with this 'professional' company for over a year now and they have meticulously gone thru every possible danger on site, but havnt addressed potential legionnaires from compost/potting mix.

mkbooks, Jun 19, 11:52am
Not just from potting -mix-cases originally reported in USA amongst cadets at at military school-arose from showers whci buds grew in. Have seen cases from air conditioning/cooler too-wherever water lies stagnant is a common source
Potting mix bags should be left open to the air for 1/2 hoour or so before using