Best compost ?

stickman100, Nov 5, 11:51pm
What is the best compost for flowers gardens?

bluefrog2, Nov 6, 12:37am
Um, compost is just rotted vegetation.
Are you thinking of fertiliser, or something like landscaping super dirt which is similar to potting mix plus fertiliser to top up garden beds?
Tui brand sells very expensive "cheat" compost that is compost plus fertiliser and lime, that does the same thing.

stickman100, Nov 6, 12:54am
Compost/super dirt top up the garden beds not fertiliser. eg: Just Brand Compost 40L from the warehouse.

bluefrog2, Nov 6, 12:59am
Landscapers use bulk super dirt purchased from a garden store. That's probably the best you can get for the price. My neighbours use potting mix for flowering plants - the warehouse brand, and have no complaints.

EDIT: BTW. Compost alone won't be enough for flowering plants. If you decide to mix your own superdirt, there needs to be some kind of fertiliser added too. The composition of the Tui compost/soil conditioner is probably spot on and can be used as a guide. I think they use blood and bone for fertiliser, and gypsum or lime to improve packed/clay soil.

lythande1, Nov 6, 1:28am
Commercial compost is made from ground up bark and wood chips and manure.
It's total crap for soil conditioning. far better to make your own with a variety of plant material and manure. And mulch with leaves, it makes the most beautiful crumbly texture when rotted in.

johnmac1, Nov 6, 10:32pm
we used well rotted pig manure n sawdust in competition gardens with excellent results.Available from good landscape/garden suppliers. Fork lightly into soil.Hardly any smell and adds organic matter .Add a good water supply and fertiliser n your in business.

peter148, Nov 7, 11:16am
I use horse manure combined with grass clipping and chicken manure.

brightlights60, Nov 7, 4:13pm
My best compost (Mrs B here) is out of my huge tumbler. Its all the kitchen (raw) scraps, combined with grass clippings (occasionally) and the mulch that comes from our leaf vacuum (which is a mulcher as well). I also use the bio blend from Oderings, plus sometimes pig manure from a place out Darfield (he lists on here). I found a supplier of dehydrated coconut fibre (a "brick" when water is added fills my wheelbarrow) and I put this around my plants to keep in hydration over the Summer.All of this makes the best growing medium you could possibly have. I finished an 18 month course in Horticulture last year, and found that its the media (the compounds that make up your soil) that is so important in your garden. Yes, you can plant in sand if you like (we did when we lived out at the beach) but its what you add, and what you feed your plants that makes the garden. Good gardeners spend years getting the soil right. Some people are just dead lucky and inherit good ground, but it doesn't always happen like that. Around here the land has traditionally been used for market gardening, so its not bad, but still needs stuff added to it. As other posts have said, the commercially bought "compost" in bags, isn't really much! Things like potting mix are ok for pots. When I empty last years pots I chuck the stuff in the compost bin to help bulk things out. Usually there are only a small amount of nutrients in it for plants for one season. A good buy is the "Just" brand of nutrients/plant food from the good old warehouse. If you check out the ingredients, they are the same as the bigger brands and they have specific ones for roses, veges, lawns etc. I wait till they are half price and buy up.

cantabman1, Nov 7, 7:27pm
I now get mine from :The Warehouse: as it is cheap. I do add a little more slow release fert.
The biggest worry in buying compost, is residue sprays from lawn clippings, that still are active. I have struck this problem with compost purchased from a NZ chain of garden shops.Result was over 50 plants dying.

sharonspyve, Nov 7, 8:58pm
Horse manure makes great cheap compost for gardens

brightlights60, Nov 7, 9:15pm
As long as the horses were fed good quality food and not weeds. My friend with a horse is my preferred source there!

nzjay, Aug 6, 6:06pm
Very true. Well known for introducing an unwanted weed crop.