Compost bin question

sniper03, Mar 17, 9:59pm
I have recently been given one similar to this,question is do I need a cover for it or can I leave it as is? Am wanting to build up a good compost supply as later in the year I plan to put in my own vege garden.

http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/garden_centre/compost_bins_rubbish/wooden_compost_bin_109765/

lythande1, Mar 17, 11:27pm
Why cover it? We just make a pile, gets watered when raining so nice and moist. if they dry out they don't work well.

samanya, Mar 18, 1:48am
I don't cover mine, but after months with no decent rain, I have been giving them a good watering now & again.
eta . I usually put a good layer of grass clippings on the top which sort of acts as a cover & it goes on the bottom of the next bin to be built.

skin1235, Mar 18, 4:14am
its great to have a flash compost bin and that is sure flash
but the need for compost to be turned frequently would say that flash bin is only good for building the stack and for the first few weeks of composting, after that you'd dismantle it so you can turn the stack every 3 weeks and add fert etc to it
if you simply plan to keep throwing materials into that bin and hopefully sometime in the future it will magically turn itself into good friable compost you will be disappointed
it will be good to look at but if good compost is your aim you'd do better to put that bin to better use as a raised herb garden and build a compost stack on the ground

junie2, Mar 18, 7:49am
I have never turned my compost heaps. They're not the fast and hot model of composting, but I do get a very good product . I have 8 or 9 on the go at all times . As above I have a rough cover on them, and am careful about the green/brown/manure/moisture balance, so they don't dry out. Most composting slows in the winter months here in the south. I wouldn't imagine I could start now and make enough for a spring garden, but OP, you may have very different conditions. Best of luck

poppy500, Mar 18, 8:29am
Yes cover it to ensure core temperature gets hot enough and all the nitrate dosnt leach out with the rain. Covering important now temperature is getting cooler as we go into winter.

maynard9, Mar 18, 8:31pm
I would never have anything other than a tumbler now. They are so much more efficient and faster in production. I am waiting for my original timber and plastic ones to fall apart so I can justify replacing them also with more tumblers.

And it is so much easier to get out when you are going to use it. My husband mounted it on a wooden frame for me so all I do is wheel the barrow under it and tip it into the wheelbarrow. I cannot believe the hours I previously spent digging it all out.

Would never go back.

kiwitel, Mar 18, 8:35pm
I never turn mine either and my compost is great. It gets very hot at times and I try and get the right nitrogen/ carbon balance if i am able. I cover mine with old carpet and I ensure it does not dry out (the moisture level of a wrung out cloth ideally).

sniper03, Mar 18, 8:49pm
Awesome,thanks everyone :) Have some old carpet so will use that.Cheers

macandrosie, Mar 19, 6:05am
Mine is similar but an old sheep crate & the boards are further apart. I've never covered mine. When I remember (which is less often than it used to be) I throw a handful or 2 of blood & bone over the top layer before say like putting lawn clippings on. Plenty of heat & I think it stimulates the worm population over time. I never turn mine because it's too much effort, but when it's full I take off the top layer or any bulky stuff & empty the rest, then use that top layer for the base.

venna2, Mar 20, 5:18am
And lime is supposed to be good as it deters rats.

bjsim, Oct 22, 9:02am
my compost bin is also a worm farm, I brought it at the field days. I find it has white fly when lifting the lid and does any one know how I can get rid of them. I don't want to spray as it may kill the worms.

lilyfield, Oct 22, 7:04pm
Flyspray, quickly close the lid again, does not kill the buried worms.
Repeat a few days.

bjsim, Aug 23, 4:09pm
THANK YOU lilyfield