Gerard Title Roofs Question

540trickzter, May 5, 10:34pm
We are building soon and the building company has given us Corona Shake Roof tiles. But after having a look at them on already built homes, we don't think it looks that great. We prefer the look of the Colortile style. But the building company said to us that the Corona Shake is a stronger tile than Colortile. Is this true?

Edit: Whoops looks like I spelt Tile wrong in the Title.

tintop, May 6, 1:47am
They are both Gerarad pressed steel tiles. it is probable that the only difference is the profile, and as a roof both should work equally.

But for a misplaced foot - the Shake may perform better .

rak1, May 8, 4:22am
We have the colortile on our house and they look good and have with stood big winds here in wgtn. Dont know what they mean by stronger. Perhaps the shake can handle people walking on them better than the others but I would not expect anyone to be walking on a brand new roof any time soon.

kandjaja, May 8, 5:01am
Ditch both and go for long run.

missymoo1000, May 8, 5:52am
I agree, they are not as good an option as coloursteel longrun.

540trickzter, May 8, 10:06pm
@rak1 I think they said Corona Shake is stronger because the ridges are closer together. They also said the Corona Shake is more expensive than Colortile, but they get Corona Shake cheaper as they use that one normally. I'm not sure if they are just making things up because they get the Corona Shake in a better deal off Gerard.

@kandjaja, @missymoo1000, @happychappy50. Long run better than title? Is it stronger?

golfdiver, May 9, 12:38am
I am an agent for both Gerard and Coloursteel. If you are going tiles, the Corona is the best by a mile. They are very user friendly to install and are the best tile to walk on. Colourtile is the old Decra profile and while it is a very nice looking product I always try to steer clients away due to the damage caused by foot traffic. Long run iron has it's place but I tend to think Tiles will add more value especially in more up market homes.
BTW Gerard tiles have a superior warranty to coloursteel and when you take into account the battens are included in a tile price but purlins are not in a longrun price tiles are cheaper too.
Corona shake is exactly the same price for the roofing company to purchase from the supplier as Colourtile and there should be slightly less wastage too

540trickzter, May 9, 3:14am
Thanks for your reply golfdiver.

The reason we don't really like the look of the Corona Shake is because how it's installed. It seems to have a flap that folds over and then nailed. It doesn't look very neat and straight and the edges of the flap looks wonky and the corners of the flaps stick out. Don't know if that's how it suppose to be or just bad installation.

But if you think Corona Shake is the best. We'll consider sticking with it.

golfdiver, May 9, 4:16am
I guess you are talking about the side lap? All steel tiles work the same way but yes the lap at the bottom can be more visible. If your roofers are worth their salt they will install laying the laps away from the predominant line of sight. This sometimes has to be balanced with the prevailing weather if you are exposed. Are you looking at Textured or Satin? They each have their pros and cons.

survivalkiwi, May 9, 5:32am
I am a builder and over the years have built many homes.
Corrigated longrun was used and looked good 30 years ago.
It still looks good today.
The pressed tiles we used 15 years ago really age those houses today.
Shaker tiles look great today but I believe that in 15 years time we will still be using Corrigated longrun and shaker tiles will be a thing of the past.

540trickzter, May 10, 4:28am
Not sure what the correct term is for it, but it sounds about right. I'll try and get a photo of the install I'm talking about and if you are able to tell me if it's suppose to look like that or if it's a bad install.

We would most likely be going with the satin finish.

iluvmuse, May 10, 4:49am
I agree. Tiles look too busy, especially with brick.

missymoo1000, May 11, 4:28am
From looking at a lot of house while preparing to build our own, we only ever saw Corona Shake tiles on group homes (GJ etc) and spec homes where they were trying to make maximum profit. If costs is the issue then long run will last the distance and look good (not just because this is the option we chose) :)

missymoo1000, May 11, 4:32am
We went long run with brick and weather board. https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/381832251.jpg

masturbidder, May 11, 8:26am
I built one place with Gerrard tiles, the type with stone-chip surface.
Nice and non-slip to walk on, and I was impressed by how quiet they are in the rain compared with longrun or bare metal tiles.

golfdiver, May 11, 8:56am
Corona Shake (not shaker) tiles have been going on houses for 23 years now, since 1992. Several other companies have copied it. No sign of dating yet.

golfdiver, Jan 12, 10:53am
Just a thought OP, If you are keen on tiles but aren't really sold on the Corona because of the lap being visible from one side, there is another profile called the "Milano" which looks just like a concrete tile and is surprisingly strong. It is only available in a chip finish but we have had really positive feedback on the ones we have installed. This one is a little more expensive however.You won't see the lap at all.
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=gerard+milano+tile&biw=1440&bih=754&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2QxQVaXMGsr28QXbuYDQBA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ