Plumber billing question

johotech, Mar 26, 4:34am
that's the problem with getting a quote. The plumber has allowed for worst case scenario. If you just got them out on hourly rate and it took 3 hours he would only be able to charge it for 3 hours wouldn't he.

johotech, Mar 26, 4:54am
Well it's probably longer than "normal" if everything goes smoothly. However it could take that long if there are any problems.

You're luck to get a combined plumber/gasfitter to do everything at standard plumbers rate.

FYI it takes time to do the gas testing. Some ovens need the jets changed if they don't match your supply.
Insinkerators are often difficult to get installed properly so they don't leak - especially cheap ones that come with useless seals for the sink connection.

As I said in my useful post above, that's the problem about getting a quote. You got a quote because you don't want to take the risk of high bill, but now you're questioning the amount of time. Often it is cheaper just to do time and materials on any small job. Then they can only charge the amount of time they are there with you looking over their shoulder, but it could be a higher hourly rate if you watch, even higher if you "help".

I guess you'll feel ripped off if everything goes smoothly and he's outta there in 2.5hrs? Would you pay more if it takes him 5hrs?

mark_g, Mar 26, 5:14am
Plumber/gasfitter took 1 hr to pressure test the line, re-jet, connect and adjust my gas hob, and fit it. It could have easily gone another half hour if it hadn't gone smoothly. So that part of the quote would seem reasonable to me.

johotech, Mar 26, 5:15am
Well I could have just said "how long is a piece of string".
Gez, can't win. Try to explain how quotes work and you say I'm attacking?

As for the higher rate, it's an ancient "trade" joke.
$50 per hour.
$75 per hour if you watch.
$100 per hour if you help.

As for "Cash" + GST - well that just means he doesn't want to have to chase you to get his bill paid. Doesn't mean he's not declaring his income and GST. You should get a GST invoice from them. Do you have trust issues with everyone you do business with?

andrew1954, Mar 26, 5:57am
Looks like you are wanting the plumber on basically a labour only job. Tradies make there money by charging you for their time PLUS selling you parts, so in an "average hour" on the job they generally bank on getting the hourly labour rate and mark-up on the parts installed in that hour. With labour only there is only the hourly rate, so you up the rate or up the hours to get the same return.
I'm not sure about this case, but remember just because the plumber quoted on the job, does not mean that he / she wants the job !

johotech, Mar 26, 7:06am
So now you provide the more information, you already knew he was ripping off both income/company tax, and GST, so it could be quite expected that he may be ripping you off as well.

But as I've already explained, and you've had confirmed about the gas connection - the hours he quoted are not necessarily excessive. As I also said, installing an insinkerator alone, could be anything from 30 minutes for a good one, to a couple of hours if a cheap unit that won't seal on the waste. I've even had to make seals for insinkerators, because they were supplied with basically a piece of cardboard, which was supposed to be the seal.

Anyone requesting a quote for a very small job (less than one day approximately), can expect that the time quoted will "worst case" from their experience. Generally it is cheaper just to pay time and materials (with honest tradespeople obviously) for small jobs.

stevo2, Mar 26, 7:06am
^^^This^^^
Imagine someone asked you to quote a small job in your field, you were unsure if the job would take 2 hrs if it was straightforward or 4 hrs if any problems arise. How many hours would you allow in the quote?

zak410, Mar 26, 7:18am
OP, gas being involved, pay a proper tradesman, + gst and have all work signed/certified.

imagine4, Mar 26, 7:24am
that time would be about right. I just had my kitchen plumbing done. and would rather they take time and do it properly . you will probably fnd they will do it in shorter time

survivalkiwi, Mar 26, 6:10pm
I built my last house on charge up. I am in the process of building myself another one. We are doing this one on charge up also. I believe it saves me heaps. I am paying for the work that needs done not "could" need to be done.
Also because of this I go out of my way to make things easy for the subbies. The little things can save money. For example making sure the plumber can get his van right upto the door of the house, Letting them know that I will sweep up and remove rubbish.

timbo69, Mar 27, 6:55am
He has already driven there and spend an hour doing the quote. you will have to pay for that too one way or another.

Sounds reasonable. For a complete install of toilet/sink etc allow about $500+

aredwood, Mar 28, 11:48am
Exactly this. Getting a quote is like getting insurance. The will be a "premium" added in. As you will be paying a bit extra because if the job takes longer than expected. He has to cover the extra cost himself. Instead of you getting a bigger bill at the end. And just like insurance, On average he needs his quotes to make extra profit more often than not. To cover the ones that he makes a loss on.

At least he gave a detailed breakdown. Some tradies only give a description of work to be performed. And a price to do it.

lissie, Apr 1, 3:14am
This is a useful thread as we've bought a new house which needs the bathroom and kitchen replaced . I'm pretty sure I can figure the design, and I can project manage as I work from home. But I've been wondering whether if I decide I want an XYZ toilet and an ABC sink - do I buy them and hire the trades to install - or do I get them to buy on my behalf - assuming they can get a better price for me - and assuming they will do a mark up themselves (but still less than retail)

kwaka5, Apr 1, 4:49am
Lissie. It's a good question to ask. I'm a sparky by trade and my brother is a plumber and we both agree on one thing. If YOU supply the gear and there is any issues with it then YOU will need to pay the extra to put it right. If WE supply the gear then we will make sure it's right. We won't supply the cheapest gear but we will provide what we consider is the best gear for the job and stand behind it. Have done jobs where the customer provides the gear and when told it's crap get all upset. At the end of the day you will get what you pay for and may pay extra to put in the cheapest gear. Your call

t_naki, Apr 2, 6:37am
With the items that can be personal like bathroom items and light fittings and appliances most tradies are happy for you to supply as long as you know what you are getting so they can be all set out up front. Its when you start suppliying pipe and cable that we start to get edgy as the possibility of you getting the order wrong is high and we don't want to be in the situation of having to charge extra or pull off the job because the gear is not there.

Also bear in mind that if an item that you supply develops a fault and needs removing or disconnecting then you can expect a bill to do it, however if the tradie supplies it then a phone call will sort it at his expense. This is usually the reason why trade supplied gear is a bit more expensive, firstly he will not install junk that he will be repairing at his cost and secondly he will make a markup to cover extra costs like getting it to site and the extra warranty you will receive.

t_naki, Feb 16, 1:49pm
I was on a job where the owner bought all his own kitchen supplies and paid extra to Harvey Norman for an extended waranty but wouldn't pay extra to get the kitchen guys to supply. I thought that was madness as he is still in for the cost of removing them if they go faulty.

And you are always left at the end of the job with the eternal kitchen question.

Who fits the range hood?