Plumber's advice appreciated - toilet flush

kaddiew, Aug 4, 10:00pm
In a nutshell, should a plumber have been able to find a way to increase the too-short Half Flush on this cistern? I would really appreciate a second opinion from the wise ones. Many thanks.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/401617278.jpg

bluefrog2, Aug 4, 10:57pm
Um. Not sure what a plumber can do without changing the whole flush system. But would holding down the half flush button for longer help?

kaddiew, Aug 4, 11:22pm
Thanks, yes, I do that when I remember, but it's not ideal. I thought adjustments had been made to the flush in a previous home, but maybe not. The Half Flush only became 'too short' after a washer (I think) was replaced in the cistern by the free council service pre water metering.

Problems with 2 blockages (one major $$ requiring the big machine) in the past year, in a one person house.

pauldw, Aug 4, 11:44pm
Does the cistern still give a fixed amount per flush around 3 litres or has it been modified to only flush while you have the button down? If your pipes are blocking that often maybe time to fix them.

kaddiew, Aug 5, 12:01am
Dual flush, and both do flush without needing to hold the button down. The full flush does what it's meant to - the half flush is now shorter/quicker than it used to be so doesn't always do what it should.

First blockage required the machine to clear the main sewer the full length of my section and a few metres into the neighbours (shared main). Second blockage last week was cleared between toilet and drain outside the toilet.

lythande1, Aug 5, 1:34am
Yep.
Replace the guts of the cistern. Replace the cistern.
Thats it.

kaddiew, Aug 5, 2:29am
Thanks folks!

pauldw, Aug 5, 3:27am
Half flush is only good for flushing a toilet used as a urinal. Once paper starts getting involved who knows how much water will be needed ????

jmma, Aug 5, 4:37am
Water is to low, there is a screw on the arm to adjust it (o:

kaddiew, Aug 5, 6:25am
Thanks. If that would adjust/improve the half flush, shouldn't the plumber I hired have known that?

pauldw, Aug 5, 7:22am
I don't think the level is too low. You should see a water level WL line on the plastic. The level is about the same with respect to the overflow as a similar cistern here set to the WL line.

johotech, Aug 5, 7:44am
Yep, you can see the tide mark where it used to be, about 20-30mm higher.

Turn the screw anticlockwise to fill more.

kaddiew, Aug 5, 9:05am
Thanks for pointing out that tide mark - I can see it now in the photo. Will give that a go tomorrow.

PS Just had a look, and although the old tide mark is 20-30mm as you said, the water level is only about 3mm below the WL line on the plastic. Not sure if I should tinker with it. ?

pauldw, Aug 5, 9:20am
I think you'll find that tide mark is also the level of the overflow tube. There will be a level line on the plastic.

kaddiew, Aug 5, 9:21am
Thank yes just edited previous post to say i found the WL level mark on the plastic, and the water isn't far below it at all.

aredwood, Aug 5, 11:58am
The water level was probably too high originally. So that would have been why it was working before. Cheapest fix is to just always press the full flush button. Sure you would use a little bit more water. But compared to the cost of replacing the cistern. And maybe the pan as well (Is the pan designed for only a 3L half flush?) And I doubt your water costs are going to be anywhere near what they are in Auckland.

kaddiew, Aug 5, 8:36pm
No idea what half-flush volume it was designed for, but it worked fine for years, (as you said) when too full. Now with the lower level it's not always enough, and there is sometimes a backflow of even small amounts of toilet paper. I can't afford to keep paying for nasty blockages to be cleared, so I guess using full-flush only is the cheapest fix. Thanks!

Water conservation from metering in the first year here has worked so well that the council says it isn't getting enough revenue, and is about to start hiking prices.

kaddiew, Aug 5, 9:08pm
No tree roots. drains collapsing possible,. but my "bodily functions" are just fine, thank you.

This will be my last post here -many thanks to those of you who gave helpful suggestions.

budgel, Nov 4, 6:58am
To be absolutely clear. The half flush should never be used when any solids are involved! (Turds or paper!). Any perceived economy will be gone when you have to get a plumber/drainlayer in to sort it out!