Am I allowed to replace a toilet myself?

evotime, Sep 10, 9:06am
Hi I have just removed a toilet and plan to put a new toilet in the same place, am I allowed? Or am I meant to get a plumber to do it?
From what I have read I am a bit unsure as I won't be replacing any pipes just fitting a new complete toilet with cistern and bowl where the other one was.

rojill, Sep 10, 9:11am
No problem here, just do it as repairs and maintenance.

gary231, Sep 10, 9:14am
Wrong! legally you need a plumber

rojill, Sep 10, 9:21am
Nope, you need to check the regs. You are living in the past. It is not new work

rojill, Sep 10, 9:33am
Extract from regs dated 2014

Specific sanitary plumbing exemptions
15 Exemption for householders

(1) The owner of any premises situated in a place to which this subsection applies and occupied, or intended to be occupied, by that person as a residence for that person, or for that person and members of that person??

pauldw, Sep 10, 10:35am
So where is the list of places that the exemption applies in? Subsection (4) probably makes the others meaningless.

hammer23, Sep 10, 11:30pm
Just do it,but be careful I am told that those council vans that drive around the streets have detection equipment inside that can pick all kinds of illegal plumbing even from two streets away.

wembley1, Sep 11, 12:04am
Please provide a link to the Gazette notice that allows home-owner plumbing in your area.

elect70, Sep 11, 3:56am
just do it like for like no plumber required . same goes for electrical fittings

wembley1, Sep 11, 7:00am
The prescribed work criteria between plumbing and electrical work is different as outlined above.

While a plumber might not be "needed" to replace a pan, it is "required" (by law).

macandrosie, Sep 11, 8:54am
Hubby replaced our old one in our back porch, You can remove your old one & get the new one in place though. We had a huge concrete base which plumber loaned us his jack hammer to break up. The floor was the problem in the first place & needed replacing. But you need a plumber to do the connections & glue pipes.

maccachic1, Sep 12, 4:20am
Did it myself in my property who's to know at least with an older house and it wasn't hard but imperial to metric connections did throw in a challenge but you live and learn - was 24 at the time quite happy with myself for doing that.

spiritofgonzo, Sep 13, 5:07am
Need a plumber? Really? Far out what's that about. Soo easy.

cleggyboy, Sep 13, 5:16am
I ripped my toilet out, tiled the floor & walls and fitted the new bowl, I am quite proud how that turned out after crapping in a bucket for a fortnight. LMAO.

As a side issue, before I ripped it out I was sitting on the throne and noticed all the wasted space above the toilet door, so while doing the renovation I also built a cupboard above the door for spare toilet paper etc.

sr2, Sep 13, 8:12am
I couldn't agree more, some people just love rules and regulations. (Particular when they get the opportunity to inflict them on others!).
A small dose of civil anarchy mixed with a big dose of personal responsibility makes for a wonderfully colorful and interesting life.

evotime, Sep 26, 4:00am
Done! Thanks for all the replies, pretty easy really (when the outlet pipe work isn't changing)
I took my time checked all my measurements 3x, tested and working!
The way I read it I'm allowed.