Are cheaper toilet package sets ok?

beachboy61, Apr 23, 6:02am
I'm looking at replacing a toilet pan,set and cistern in a rental property that I own with a toilet package set that I've seen at Bunning's.
The cheaper sets vary between $143 (Stylus Symphony Brand), $159 (unknown brand) and $169 (DUX brand).
To me they look suitable, but a plumber has told me the cheaper ones are no good and that I should spend about $250 plus on a better set.
I intend to buy the set and get him to install it.
Has anyone got any experience with these package sets or comments?

johotech, Apr 23, 6:05am
Listen to the plumber. But the Dux one should be fine. I've used lots of them - the plumber shouldn't have a problem with it - except he didn't supply it. Pretty sure you can get Caroma for about the same price as well.

firefly001, Apr 23, 6:20am
We've got a cheaper set in the second toilet in the garage. Sometimes the flush gets stuck down and we only realise when the pumps been going for ages. Is that what the plumber means?

farwest, Apr 23, 6:23am
Replacing a toilet pan, set, and cistern can be a daunting task, especially if you're on a tight budget. With so many options available, it's hard to know whether to go for the cheapest or the most expensive option. As a DIY-enthusiast, I've had my fair share of experience with toilet package sets, and I'm here to give you my two cents.

First off, let me say that I completely understand the need to save money, especially if you're renting out a property. You want to keep your expenses down so that you can maximize your profits. However, when it comes to plumbing, you don't want to skimp too much. A cheap toilet package set might seem like a good deal at first, but it could end up costing you more in the long run.

Here's the thing - cheaper toilet sets are often made with lower quality materials. They might have plastic fittings instead of metal ones, or a thinner porcelain that could crack more easily. These might not seem like big issues at first, but they could lead to leaks or other problems down the line. And trust me, fixing a leaky toilet is not something you want to deal with.

On the other hand, you don't necessarily need to spend hundreds of dollars on a toilet set either. There are plenty of mid-range options that are affordable and reliable. I would suggest looking for a set with a good balance of price and quality. Make sure the fittings are metal, the porcelain is thick enough, and the cistern is sturdy.

When it comes to brands, I've had good experiences with DUX and Stylus Symphony. I haven't had any experience with the unknown brand you mentioned, so I can't comment on that. However, I would suggest doing some research online to see if there are any reviews or ratings for that particular brand.

Now, as for the plumber who told you to spend $250 or more on a toilet set - I would take that advice with a grain of salt. While it's true that more expensive sets might have better quality materials or features, it doesn't necessarily mean they're worth the extra money. Some plumbers might recommend more expensive options because they get a commission or markup on the products they sell.

In conclusion, I would say that while cheaper toilet package sets can be tempting, it's important to be cautious. Look for a mid-range option with good quality materials and reliable reviews. And if you do decide to go with a cheaper set, make sure you hire a reputable plumber to install it. Good luck with your project!

woody89, Apr 23, 9:03am
Can't recall the brand so not as helpful as could be! However I have had 4x of Bunnings cheapest porcelain, close coupled toilets installed for several years now without any problems. My plumber wasn't keen either lol. However I feel vindicated as a very expensive toilet in another property we had was constantly a problem with leaking cistern, a seat that could cause a man a nasty injury & ultimately cost more to have a new valve thingy replaced in the cistern. My argument to the plumber (after I received a shocking bill that even he was surprised about parts cost) was that had I been given the option I could & would have had a Bunnings special installed to replace it. My only caution is to check the type of pan. A family member had two cheap Mitre 10 supplied toilets installed. They have major problems keeping the pan clean & white & sometimes they block in the bend. It appears they were designed for countries where the water is set much higher in the bowl.

meoldchina, Apr 23, 11:37am
I have just had two new toilets installed in my house and I am very disappointed with them. They were not cheap but the quality was appalling. I had to send two of them back to the supplier. The first had a small mis-firing in the glaze that looked like a chip and the base of the second was dog-legged when it should have been straight. Added to this, they both have a rippled effect in the pan which makes the water look dirty and, not to put too a fine a point on it, they leave skid marks. With the old toilets, admittedly they used more water, but they never got blocked. These modern ones get blocked very easily.

nzmax, Apr 23, 12:17pm
Partly because of the difference of a modern toilet having a cistern sitting on the pan against an old toilet with the cistern nearly half way up the wall. Basically the higher the cistern the higher the water pressure.

lythande1, Apr 23, 6:47pm
That plumber is either an idiot or has shares in the loos.
My husband would tell you to go to Bunnings and pay $139 for the Caroma set.
I have had "fancy" toilets, I hated them, the bowl design, the hopeless flush. I could go on.
Twice now (different houses) I hve replaced with the cheap Bunnings Caroma ones.
Nice slimline cistern too.

survivalkiwi, Apr 23, 6:57pm
I always get the plumber to supply and install what he recommends for our commercial properties.
1 His price is usually cheaper than I can pay.
2 if there is a problem later it is his problem not mine for buying a dodgy brand.
I do the same with my electrician also.

melonhead1, Apr 24, 1:05am
Don't cheap out on the Toilet. Its not a regular expense and you spend a fair amount of time there so get something dependable.

urbanrefugee54, Apr 24, 5:57am
I know it's only a rental property - but keep an eye on the height, especially if you are renting to an older person - some of them save costs by selling you bogs that are basically kiddy height & are a pain to get up & down to.

cleggyboy, Apr 24, 6:32am
I purchased a toilet from Mitre10 Mega, went for the fancy late model with the cistern attached to the pan. What a bad mistake, the flushing is shocking sometimes several flushes to rid solids and the half & full flush are the same.
You really need some head of storage for the water so there is a reasonable pressure of water to clean the pan with one flush, a lot of these new toilets are useless for this.

t_naki, Apr 24, 10:27am
I agree, it usual costs a little bit more but if it ever goes bung he will come and fix it rather than charging you to remove it and then you having to take it back yourself and then charging you to reinstall it again.

siobhan41, Apr 25, 12:28am
I purchased a m10 toilet had the tap moved to suit and plumber see it up only to find the flush was awful.
Returned it and was given a full refund and told it's a know issue to do with the tapered outlet.
Cost me double the cost with the plumber to try and save $150.

sandymrph, Apr 25, 3:09am
Can't fault the 3 Dux Vienna toilet kits I bought from Mitre 10 & installed 3 weeks ago.

farwest, Apr 25, 3:15am
Cleggyboy - check that the flush valve is set to maximum flush - the leaflet that came with the toilet will show you how. Check also that the pins under the flush buttons are touching the flush mechanism.

aredwood, Apr 27, 9:16am
You cannot change the height of the water in the toilet bowl. Only in the cistern. In some countries you are not meant to put the toilet paper down the toilet. (You put in in the bin next to the toilet) This is what allows those toilets with the small "bend" sizes to work.

Older American siphonic bowl toilets had a really high water level in the bowl by design. But they got phased out as they used 13L of water each flush.

rojill, Apr 27, 11:39am
Bunnings - $179-00, (used to be $189-00) pan and cistern close coupled , includes slow close seat and lid, modern. Bought 5 over the last 4 years. Never had or heard of a problem with any of them.

woody89, Apr 27, 8:00pm
Ok didn't realise that. Makes the design of the cheap M10 suite worse then, it had a large porcelain landing strip/ I mean surface area. You can guess what stuck to that!

rona1, Apr 27, 8:05pm
I bought a cheap set from Mitre 10 about 5 years ago and both the bowl and handbasin have brown water stains all over them. It seems to have got into the porcelain and I havent been able to remove it. Both units look soo ugly. The earlier one in the house is still white and nice. I would go for a quality set next time.

russ18, Apr 27, 8:21pm
Purchased 2 mitre 10 toilets, think they are called venisian, despite large looking cisterns they were only 4.5 litre flush and bloody useless. Swapped the filler and flush valves for caroma and got about 6 litres of flush, now they work perfectly.

cleggyboy, Jan 22, 6:10pm
Thanks for that I will check it out.