Buying a toilet - where please?

4pc, Apr 9, 3:12am
We have a rather old Belva toilet with the tank in the roof. The tank has started to leak and is wasting water, so we want to replace it all outright as the flush mechanism is getting on a bit.

Where would you recommend we get a toilet from please? I've never given them much thought, but is there anything we should try to avoid?

blairhs, Apr 9, 4:38am
Got ours from Plumbing world, no issues. Avoid european toilets with the shelf in the pan so you can inspect the quality of your poo (I kid you not). Get one with as few insets etc as possible for ease of cleaning, and easy release tabs on the lid/seat are also good.

smoth_007, Apr 9, 4:56am
Look for WELS 4 Rating.

lythande1, Apr 9, 7:10pm
Bunnings. $140 for the whole thing, bowl, tank and seat.
Caroma.

budgel, Apr 9, 8:31pm
Yep, Bunnings have a good range to choose from.
Make sure that you know whether it is an S or P type you need.

aredwood, Apr 10, 10:51am
Get it repaired. Yes you can still get parts for Belva valves. And yes there are plumbers out there who know how to fix them. And if it is the header tank itself that is leaking. Then see if you could squeeze a new plastic tank into the ceiling. Approx 70L capacity is normally alright assuming it is only feeding 1 or 2 toilets in a domestic house. If you are going to replace it with a cistern toilet check how far from the back of the pan to the wall. As often the pan will be too close to the wall to install a cistern and allow the toilet seat to stay up. Also consider how hard it would be to run a new water feed to the toilet location for the cistern. If there is no crawl spaces it might be impossible.

wendalls, Apr 11, 9:20am
make sure the flusher mechanism is sturdy. Ours lifts out by sticking to your fingers and then drops in the toilet and is flushed away! Happened to one and nearly another toilet. ( each toilet had 2 bits for smaller large flushOne is nearly unusable now about 8 yrs old. The plastic parts in the cistern move and get out of place so it won't flush) Also the bend doesn't seem big enough for some of our families business and clogs up very regularly!

4pc, Apr 13, 1:00am
aredwood - we are thinking it might be easier to repair it afterall, for all the reasons you gave, PLUS the "outpipe" from the toilet heads to the side to an exterior wall, and it appears that these days they all go out the back rather than sideways. And yes, we'd have to move the whole thing forward.

4pc, Apr 13, 1:00am
Good tip wendalls. I didn't know there was so much to know about toilets!

les6, Apr 13, 1:16am
target area way too small on lots of modern toilets!ok if like skid marks and brushing after every time?

4pc, Feb 6, 11:47am
I had a look at some at Bunnings and thought the same!