Broken mains pipe . registered plumber?

anne64, Aug 28, 7:54am
if a house is on mains water and the pipe that goes from the meter to the house is totally rusted out underground and needs replacing . does it have to be done by a registered plumber/drainlayer?
Can anyone link me to some info?

trade4us2, Aug 28, 10:10am
Well I put mine in, with the approval of my plumber. A blue plastic pipe that was quite cheap.

aj.2., Aug 28, 10:26am
No ,
you can do that sort of work your self , just use alco , but note use the good hanson fittings or even better the copper fittings , less chance of any troubles that way.

aredwood, Aug 29, 10:48am
If you own and live in the house you can. If the house is a rental then get a plumber.

If you want to save money, dig the trench yourself. As that is the most time consuming part of replacing the watermain.

anne64, Sep 5, 7:43am
As it happens. It does have to be done by a registered plumber under the Health Act . you can lay the pipes yourself, provided they meet the standard and are the required depth (its quite a formula to work out) but the plumber has to connect it.
It was a house I bought and just before settlement discovered the steel water pipes under the ground were all rusted and broken so the house had no water supply. Not a cheap fix as the meter is over 100m from the house. The vendor was trying to do a cheap quick-fix by running a hose across the paddock (which would be fun in summer when our cold water tap would provide scalding hot water!)
Sorted now :)

wembley1, Sep 5, 8:22am
Plumbers Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act actually.

And a registered and *licensed* plumber.

john26a, Sep 6, 12:49am
You cannot put copper under ground.

anne64, Sep 6, 3:36am
Health Act 1956 as amended by Health (Drinking Water) Act 2007 requires it too.

40wav, Oct 9, 6:54am
Err. what?