Plumber installed new toilet, advice please.

fiona98, Feb 28, 10:14am
I had a plumber come and remove and replace with a new toilet I had previously purchased, he was here for one and a half hours and in this time removed old toilet, put in new toilet and I had asked him to fix two leaky taps, one in the laundry he fitted with new washer which took 5 minutes as I watched with his permission so I could learn how to do it, the other tap in the bathroom he turned thewasher over and admitted it was too big but didnt change it.I had prepaid him for 4 hours work as I thought it would take a good couple of hours to do the toilet alone.New Toilet is s bend and back to wall.I am rather concerned as the toilet is not stable, like it could fall over if given a push , it seems to be bolted ontoi the floor like it is supposed to be, I think.But I can see behind the toilet cistern that I thought would be hard up tight against the wall.I mean you can shake the toilet and cistern and the whole thing moves and it rocks. I rung him and he said he will come back sometime on monday to have a look, he said the floor was uneven. The new toilet does sit back closer to the wall than the old one so where the lino was cut around the old toilet there is now a visiable space of unlino flooringin front of the new toilet, so understandedly this would make the floor uneven.Is this normal for the plumber to just fit the toilet and not mention to me about the uneven floor and didnt even suggest to cut the lino to fit around the new toilet. He has put some silicone on the base of the toilet to like glue it to the lino but this has come unstuck.Just looks very unprofessional and I cannot beleive he left it like this and thought I would be ok with it.To top it off he didnt even bother to replace the small concrete brick properly on top of the toby which he removed. Then he told me i owed $60 for a part he had to use.I asked for an invoice and said I normally internet bank,he said he wants cash. Ifeel very disapointed with his workmanship.Surely this is not the norm!Other issues as well but I think I have raved on too much already.

lozzaqtn, Feb 28, 4:53pm
As you said, you were there and watched, why didn't you bring up those issues before he left!The issue of the lino is your issue not the plumbers

carter19, Feb 28, 5:42pm
Why did you pay in advance! No invoice = no further payment in my books. I think the $60 is well covered by the difference in time paid v time worked.

lythande1, Feb 28, 5:57pm
Prepaid!! Who does that!
Any building or flooring work is not the plumbers job.
I would say internet banking is acceptable, shouldn't have to be cash, and yes, you should get an invoice.
Brick.that's your problem too.

hammer23, Feb 28, 7:29pm
No the job was only half done,if the pan wobbled then he should have done something about it or bought it to your attention.Not good enough and the plumber needs a good spanking.

fiona98, Feb 28, 11:05pm
I thought so too hammer23,I was unaware that the floor would be uneven and thought he wouldve brought it to my attention instead he just left without a word.I only observed him doing the last washer.Had a bath last night and watched the drip drip of water coming from the tap, mmm this was the tap he fixed first.The brick not being put back properly, really, my problem!I got brought up at home and in the workplace if you move something you should put it back in its place when you're finished with it.If I was an older person I couldve easily tripped over this and hurt myself.I prepaid as it was a grabone deal.Other issues was he had booked to do the work last Saturday but rung 3 days before saying he was going away for the weekend and had to rebook.Day of booking no show for half hour (I had taken day of work so I could be home for plumber in the morning, I had other appointments to attend to in the arvo) anyway I rung him and he said he will be another half hour away, he turned up for half hour and then had to go take his kids to swimming lessons , meanwhile I am left at home without any useable toilet, although I did say I could manage without one for a few hours.He turned up again over 2 hours later and sofinished the job surposibly.Do plumbers need a licence or certificate!If so, I wonder if I should ask to see this when he comes back on Monday to have a look at the loo woobley.I just hope he has done the job correct as there were a couple odd parts remaining in the box to go in the rubbish.Anyway I have asked a friend to look at it on Sunday and see what he thinks, he works in the kitchen/bathroom industry.

pauldw, Feb 28, 11:12pm
Definitely, it's not a handyman occupation.

carter19, Mar 1, 2:16am
You can even check to see if he has one:www.pgdb.co.nz

wendalls, Mar 1, 8:57am
Grabone are quite helpful when problems are encountered. id say if you cant find his name in the above link, and he doesnt show to fix things, then call them pronto. Reason being you have to get another trady to fix his cock ups and no invoice.! Sounds very dodgy.definitely unprofessional!

xanthippe, Mar 2, 3:40am
I have used grab one for a plumber and never again for a trades person.if they're any good they don't need to sell vouchers.

fiona98, Mar 2, 10:31pm
Yes xanthippe I agree with you now,I think I have learnt my lesson about trades people on Grab one, never again I think.

dropsofjupiter, Mar 2, 10:41pm
agreed

i had a plumber come up to fix three leaky taps where i rent and he didnt do the one in the laundry sink (hot water when tap to washing machine was on) so rang him and he said it wasnt leaking.i said yes it is and he replied that the sink was dry so therefore it isnt leaking.yer, its taken five months for the landlord to get you here and its a hot water tap, of course it is turned off!all he had to do was turn the tap on and he would have seen the leak, plumbing 101 anyone!!

nats5, Mar 2, 10:43pm
We never need to use Grab Ones as our plumbing firm is always busy.My hubby is very fussy and relies on networking and word of mouth recommendation.We have work coming out of our ears even though the economy isn't that great still!My hubby is a Certifying Plumber and Drainlayer and part of the Master Plumbers of Hawkes Bay.He would never dream of leaving a shoddy job like that as it's his reputation on the line and has a conscience!I would get him back again to fix it if tap still dripping.The building/floor part of it is on you, but he should also have siliconed the pan down and told you not to use the loo while the silicone hardens for 24 hours.I hate hearing stories like this!There are a lot of hard working plumbers out there who are honest and have great work ethic.These people give the industry a bad name!If he won't come back, complain to the Master Plumbers local Branch.

plumcraft, Mar 3, 3:52am
Master Plumbers association Ha,Ha,Ha

smalltrader2, Mar 3, 7:52am
Sorry to hear about your story. Unfortunately if something looks too good to be true it usually is. Reading your post I would certainly see this as a very sub standard plumbing work.

There are cowboy trade people who give the industry a bad name. To find decent trade people. I find words of mouth are best. A recommendation from friends / colleagues usually works. Last resort is http://www.nocowboys.co.nz/ which helps me find a good roofer.

waleedwahsh, Mar 3, 8:16am
Did you get any kind of receipt!I really hope this guy is paying tax on all his work.

fiona98, Mar 3, 9:21pm
Hi nats5, whats your hubbys name, as I will keep him in mind for future work please.
Monday today and plumber said he would be around today to have a look at the loo,he said he would ring to make a time.Am i meant to sit around home and wait for him like I don't have a life,I do work from home but need to go out sometimes.I got a receipt from Grabone.
I have learnt my lesson, I would so definately pay more to get a decent quality job.Just sad how some people have no respect or pride in their work.

lythande1, Mar 4, 1:46am
TRademe services can be sorted by Reviews too.

hort1, Mar 4, 6:24am
I agree my son has started out on his own in Tauranga after coming back from London and has to turn work down and has employed an apprentice because of so much work. Most of it is from word of mouth and other plumbers and their shoddy work. You would have thought he would have mentioned about the lino and given you the opportunity to get new lino laid before he replaced the pan

nats5, Apr 3, 11:45am
If you could leave your email address somehow, then my husband could contact you.Otherwise, as soon as we disclose my hubby's name, then your plumber in question will instantly recognise him.