Replacing security light Question.

toymit, Apr 18, 8:03pm
Just wondering if I need to get an electrician to replace an existing outdoor security light or can I just do it myself. Broke one of the arm/holders when I was replacing a bulb.

ryanm2, Apr 18, 8:09pm
If you own and live at the property you can legally do it yourself. Ive found the HPM combo pack best bang for buck, stay away from Elite or Arlec products.

toymit, Apr 18, 8:25pm
Sweet. I already bought one, problem is on the instructions it said it needs to be earthed whereas the existing security light it isnt earthed. Also said donot interconnect with any other light on the same switch whereas the existing one is on the same switch as the backdoor light.

gabbysnana, Apr 18, 9:47pm
Same problem hence mine still sitting in the box.

johotech, Apr 18, 9:57pm
Usually they are all plastic and shouldn't need to be earthed. Check if there is actually a wire coming off the earth terminal. Post a photo if you can. What brand is it?

For the back door light, did it come on when the security light activated, or was it on all the time that the light switch was turned on? If it just comes on when the switch is turned on, then don't worry about it, it will just work the same.

toymit, Apr 18, 10:18pm
The one I just bought isnt plastic but the one I want to replace is. The brand is Lamy and has a cast Aluminum housing.

The back door light and outdoor security sensor light are connected to a double switch(one switch for each).

toymit, Apr 18, 10:30pm
Im guessing it'll be more straight forward if I just go back to Bunnings and exchange the metal one with a plastic one.

johotech, Apr 18, 10:33pm
You don't need to worry about that as they are separate switches.

johotech, Apr 18, 10:36pm
I wouldn't buy those ones from Bunnings. Get your money back and go to an electrical wholesaler for professional advice.

Most of the ones at the hardware shops are junk. They will get water in the sensor in less than 12 months if they are exposed to the rain at all.

toymit, Apr 18, 10:38pm
Sweet, I'll probably just do that. Just thought the plastic ones would break easily like the old one I just broke.

bbfh, Apr 18, 10:40pm
Remember to get a S DoC,.

ryanm2, Apr 19, 6:15am
Nah, the HPM and PDL are built well enough. Philips I have found to be a pain when mounting and when trying to undo the plastic tabs that the light arms swing on, done up extremely tight.

rotormotor7, Apr 19, 7:28am
I use the iq group(simx) sensor lights. Zero fail rate and I have put heaps in over the years.

johotech, Apr 19, 7:43am
Except a lot of their models are metal so require an earth at the fitting, which the OP doesn't have.

johotech, Apr 20, 5:28am
Hard to tell. Looks like the lamp unit is metal.

Just go to an electrical wholesaler and get professional advice. Hardware shops are a waste of time for most electrical products. A lot of the stuff they have is junk.

gabbysnana, Apr 20, 5:33am
dunno, mine have been on the house since 2000, worked fine until i crushed them when painting, couldnt believe i did it twice. The old ones have earth wire(green) wired at the light but not at the switch. One day i will find an electrican who will actually come to do heaps of ood shod jobs.

toymit, Apr 20, 10:20pm
So only the light end has to be earthed?

johotech, Apr 20, 10:38pm
Yes. There is no requirement for an earth at the switch. But there are specific requirements about how the earth is run to the light if it isn't part of the twin and earth cable that supplies the light circuit.

pauldw, Apr 21, 1:55am
The electrical trade must run on slim margins the number of places I've seen with an earth at the switch but only twin wired to the lamp. Beer money?

johotech, Jan 28, 6:06pm
In the old days. That's not legal now.

In any case, twin and earth is probably cheaper than twin because of the volume discounts.