New Gib & Gib stopping question

gemini007, Apr 13, 1:24am
I know this is a how long is a piece of string sort of question, but would love an estimate for one room - average size double bedroom for someone to put up new gib and gib stopping as I have no idea - we'd remove the old gib and put in new insulation. In Auckland - if anyone has a guesstimate I would appreciate it.

stevo2, Apr 13, 1:33am
$3k

johotech, Apr 13, 1:56am
Do you actually know how to install the insulation correctly as per the building code? That's only a small part of the work, so it should really be left to a builder.

I would recommend getting a builder to do the insulation, gibbing an finishing work (architraves etc), which a gib fixer will not do.

Then get the gib stopper. The builder can probably arrange them for you.

Yep, probably looking at around $3k or more to fit the insulation, gib, architraves & gib stopping. Plus the cost of the insulation & paint etc.

shanreagh, Apr 13, 2:08am
Agree re letting builder install the insulation. Builder will need to install correct building paper. My villa had none in walls.

My builder did appreciate me removing old plaster/gib and leaving him a tidy work place to work in. I like to carefully clean/vacuum when taking off interior linings so you could do that. Don't underestimate how much dust there will be and put carpet/floor protection down before you begin.

nzmax, Apr 13, 3:50am
Since you are removing the linings, it could also be a good opportunity to add more electrical plugs, or move existing plugs to a more convenient position, including those in rooms with walls common to the room being renovated. Far cheaper to run/move wiring with the linings removed than doing it after. Just a thought.

cwag, Apr 15, 4:18am
Get a couple of gib fixers / stoppers to give you a quote. There are so many variables that some of the comments that people have given could be miles off. There is no point in budgeting a job based on other peoples projects.

shanreagh, Apr 15, 11:45pm
Did you miss the comments re replacing insulation? Not a DIY job unless you know all about building paper etc. I would ask a builder for a cost to put insulation in, replace gib, update the electrics then he may have access to gib stoppers or have a gib stopper in his/her crew. he may have access to an electrician.

I find it is better as a homeowner to have someone else, ie the builder do a bit of project management. They work all the time with other trades such as gib stoppers and electricians and can get them in to give quotes and then do their work when their trade is needed as the job progresses.

merrigj, Apr 16, 8:35pm
A builder would have to get consent too for insulating external walls.

kingjj, Apr 17, 7:14am
I don't see why you should pay someone to do the insulation as long as you do a bit of research and take your time. We are in the middle of getting our kitchen/dining area re-gibbed. The quotes ran from $2200 (plus gib boards) to $3500 (plus gib boards). This is for both the walls and ceiling (15.5 m2 for ceiling, approx 20m2 for walls once windows are taken out) and included demo of old walls/ceilings.

We did our own insulation (including installing builders paper) and between 5 of us it only took an evening. Wall's cost about $100 in insulation plus $38 for builders paper, will be doing ceiling once job complete. We also choose to install new power points (6 doubles inc. an oven) and lights (which included all new wiring from the switch board as well as a new fuse board for the new circuits). This came out at around $2200.

Do shop around and get quotes, the cheapest quote we got actually included the most and the fella doing it had very good ratings online and from associates. The most expensive quote was for 2 cowboys who were taking the mickey. We went with the cheapest quote and haven't regretted it. Nearly complete and he's done an excellent job. You could always try builders crack and see what sort of quotes you get.

gemini007, Apr 17, 9:54am
We will be getting quotes, but I wanted some idea first - thanks for all the advice.

masturbidder, Apr 17, 10:08am
Most insulation installation in external walls requires building consent now.

golfaholic2, Feb 2, 8:10am
Not in Chch I don't think