Gib stopping

ayjay1, Jun 11, 9:39am
Every now and then we are getting small bubbles appearing in our finishing
coat. We ware using Plus 4. Can you tell me what causes them please?

happychappy50, Jun 11, 10:36am
Air bubbles I suspect,main cause is when the finishing coat is applied it has air trapped in it,just run a bit of topping coat over it,let dry & give a light rub with a fine grit paper & paint,happens when the gib stopper plays with the topping coat too much & is undetected when sanded as it fills with dust,only when it is painted it becomes noticeable.

johotech, Jun 11, 9:19pm
Bubbles are sometimes caused by applying a layer which is too thick or just poor technique applying the coat.

Or, if you have sanded between coats and left dust on the surface before applying the next coat, the dust can cause problems getting the next coat to "wet" the surface and adhere easily. Anyone needing to sand between coats when gibstopping should probably just go back to their knitting and hire a professional gibstopper.

zak410, Jun 11, 10:28pm
What size bubbles are they?
I've seen little 'pin-holes' on top coat sometimes when ready-mix finished are used on a not quite dry bedding coat.

Try 'U-Mix' finishing compound from the Gib range, it gives a great finish and 'flows-on' much better than pre-mix toppings.

ayjay1, Jun 12, 6:54am
Probably about 2or 3mil but just in a couple of places, I think Johotec might be right but we dont sand between coats.
cheers
Alan

zak410, Jun 12, 8:31am
Strange, I've never seen that;
all I can think is maybe water was added to the +4 and not properly mixed-in?

jezabeel, Dec 17, 6:53pm
Step 1. Throw away your plus 4
In my experience little air bubbles appear in plaster when it is filling patches that require a lot of plaster.