How to remove anchor insert in gib board

beachboy61, Apr 20, 9:56am
I've got a house where the previous owner has placed 10 anchor inserts in the gib board walls for holding heavy objects.
I've screwed out the hook part of the anchor but its left a metal insert which has the hole in the middle for the anchor and a thin metal ring just flush of the gib board.
I could fill the hole and try to use polyfilla to cover, but I wondered if anyone has other ideas.
I intend to repaint the walls where the anchors have been.

sr2, Apr 20, 10:01am
The insert should screw out with a large Phillips (or Posi) screwdriver.

tintop, Apr 20, 10:12am
They need to be drilled out, either 1/4" or 3/16" - I dont remember which.

The have 4 legs on the inside which pull up hard against the gib.
Great for taking heavy loads. Made by Ramset.

http://www.ramset.com.au/Product/Detail/86/Hollow-Wall-Anchors

Once you drill the thickness of the Gb, the inside bit just falls away.

Drill carefully with moderate pressure else the fastener will loosen in the hole and just spin around. If this happens, screw in a couple of gib screws full depth15mm either side of the fastener to catch the legs and stop it spinning.

Patch out the holes afterwards.

sr2, Apr 20, 11:08am
Your advice is correct for a toggles but I'm picking the OP is talking about drywall anchors?
http://www.ramset.co.nz/Resources/Website/Product/gallery/img54p90.jpg
As said in my earlier post they should just unscrew.

The quick (but less elegant) solution most plasterers use is a quick hit with a hammer and a dab of plaster!

johotech, Apr 20, 11:13am
Both good answers, for the two different types of anchors. Maybe they can post a photo.

Easy way for either type, is to just cut around the metal part on the front with a knife and whack it through inside the wall with a screwdriver (not right through the other side of the wall though).

tintop, Apr 20, 11:46pm
hehe - My guess is that if it is the screw in type - the screw driver recess may just suggest to the OP that unscrewing would be the way to go. :)

jkp58, Apr 21, 8:25am
just hit with hamer below surface then fill wider than the dent

iluvmuse, Apr 21, 8:52am
I insert a nail punch into the hole a few mills, angle it so there is pressure on the inner sleeve and the inside rim of the ring/washer, then rotate it about until the ring snaps off and push the sleeve in deeper.
It takes little force and keeps the hole small.

beachboy61, Apr 21, 9:10pm
No they are hollow wall anchors, not drywall with the screw.
I drilled in the middle on one lasts night then pushed it into the wall cavity.
Ended up with a hole the size of outer metal ring. Still have 9 more to do and would like to limit the size of hole. Will try iluvmuse's method.

zak410, Jan 27, 5:15pm
you should try #8, better than a hole to fill IMO.