Dryer overloading power board

Page 1 / 2
christin, Oct 4, 6:11pm
Hi. Just today I’ve noticed my dryer tripping my multibox it’s plugged into.

There is no point near dryer so box is there to plug into, always had a dryer there for the last 18 or so years so don’t think it’s a fuse capacity issue. Is this likely to be the power board or dryer faulting? Dryer is only about two years old.

It seems to run for a bit then shuts it off. Nothing else on powerboard, thanks

trade_menow, Oct 4, 6:25pm
multibox's are rated at 2400w MAX whats your dryer's rating

easier solution would be to get a extension cord to the length needed - if the fuse on the main board blows get a electrican to check

wembley1, Oct 4, 6:31pm
Not to put too fine a point on it but you are asking for a house fire.

https://worksafe.govt.nz/about-us/campaigns/gas-and-electricity-safety-winter/appropriate-use-of-powerboards

trade_menow, Oct 4, 6:36pm
having only the dryer on the multi box should be ok but as i mentioned they are only rated for 2400w max anything higher should trip the built in protection which by the sounds of it is doing its job but yes - they generally are not designed for high current appliances

christin, Oct 4, 6:54pm
It’s been on a power board for years. This is the first time tripping it so was wondering if the dryer is faulting as never had issues before and still under warranty if it’s overheating etc?

I am going to get a point put in there but waiting on the electrician,

tweake, Oct 4, 7:16pm
not all. many are only 8 amp instead of 10 amp.
odds are its been riding on the limit so much that its gone weak and now tripping.

best to use an extension lead as mentioned above.

wembley1, Oct 4, 7:18pm
x1
What is the rating of your dryer and the rating of the power board?

For argument's sake let's say 2000 & 2400W. So when you are running the dryer the power board is running at 80% of capacity.

Would you run your car at 80% of its redline?

christin, Oct 4, 7:24pm
Does a powerboard not cope with 80% of its load?

No it’s not ideal but currently don’t have a choice. I could put an extension lead on but may then trip the fuse, which I currently don’t have wire for. Will get some tomorrow and try.

But as I said I’m wondering if it’s the dryer at fault, if it is Id get it looked at under warranty as it is a new issue, powerboard and swirch been there Two years and also on previous dryer,

christin, Oct 4, 7:25pm
Thanks will try when I get fuse wire in case it does go.

Electrician is due to upgrade powerboard and some rewiring, I have accepted quote just waiting on time, I have messaged him to follow up.

It doesn’t trip instantly either which is why I thought maybe the dryer going too hot or something after running a bit.,?

wembley1, Oct 4, 7:33pm
I'd dispute this. A washing machine would use less power than a dryer so if WorkSafe mention washing machines it doesn't exclude dryers.

Example:
washer 450W
dryer 2000W
https://www.tradedepot.co.nz/laundry-combo-offer-vented-dryer-washing-machine-top-load-5-5

pamow69, Oct 4, 7:34pm
If it has been on the power board for the last 2 years then it can really only be one of two things. Either the power board is getting faulty or the dryer has a fault. Could be a bad element that shorts out after getting hot, as you say it does run for a short time. If you have another power board try that. If it still does it then you need a technician to test the dryer for faults.

christin, Oct 4, 7:39pm
Thanks will get a new powerboard tomorrow. Have a couple here but would like a good new one.

If it is the dryer I’ll contact the store re warranty.

christin, Oct 4, 8:11pm
Goes for about 15 mins

gyrogearloose, Oct 4, 8:54pm
Your dryer is likely in the wrong spot; not where they intended the dryer to be.

My partner, short story, couldn't reach the dryer on the bracket above the washer, hung upside down (this is a common setup) so instead ran the dryer on the ground by an open door to vent the exhaust, and she pushed it aside when not using it.

I turn up with a front loader, sit the dryer on top where she can reach it, and the exhaust lines up close to where they anticipated the hot exhaust.

So, my point, your dryer should be where they anticipated the hot air, rather than somewhere without even a power socket.

tweake, Oct 4, 9:21pm
overloads don't trip at exactly a certain current. there is a time component as well.
as the overload heats up when in use the closer it gets to tripping.
a hotter than normal room can make a difference.
it could be the bearings on the dryer are getting worn, dry and causing more resistance, which makes the motor draw more current.
but i'm still picking its the overload which is starting to fail due to the constant high current. if i remember right the springs get weak and makes it easier to trip. (sorry its been 20+ years since i did this stuff)

your not going to blow the switch board fuse. they are a lot higher rating than what the power board is.

tweake, Oct 4, 9:26pm
it makes zero difference.
no one ever "anticipated the hot air" when designing laundry rooms in houses. many older houses had nothing for a dryer exhaust and many new homes are similar.
its only in apartment buildings where dryer exhaust system take a fair amount of designing (if they have any at all).

christin, Oct 4, 9:27pm
It’s the only place it can go in the laundry and it has a dryer vent to the outside there, as well as an open window so don’t think it’s the room getting hot. And has been There since 2001. Obviously not this dryer!

I don’t have a front loader, there is a Laundry tub, with a top loader on one side , where the plug is and the dryer is on the other side of the tub, If I moved it to it top of the washer I’d it was a front loader would be using same plug just no extension,

christin, Oct 4, 9:30pm
Thanks will try both thst and new powerboard tomorrow.

The room isn’t warm at all. It’s got a large ajar window and rhey one doors.

I doubt it will be the new dryer or certainly hope not at its age!

lythande1, Oct 5, 8:38am
Plug it straight into the power point.

captaingraham, Oct 5, 8:46am
Never run heating appliances through a powerboard,multibox.

wine-o-clock, Oct 5, 8:49am
Use the clothesline, or doesn't anyone have those anymore?

christin, Oct 5, 9:20am
It doesn’t reach otherwise I would

christin, Oct 5, 9:22am
Who says I don’t use the line? I actually do use the line at times but I leave for work at 5.30am. If I put it out the night before it’s often wet when I get home. So sometimes use the dryer, I don’t have a garage or anywhere under cover.

tygertung, Oct 5, 3:50pm
Why not just get a 1m extension cord. Pretty cheap from mitre10. If it was going to blow the fuse in the circuit, it would have done so already maybe.

christin, Oct 5, 5:11pm
Yeah aleady said I’d try that thanks. Just waiting on my next load.

Wanted to have some fuse wire on hand too before I did it! Just in case. Didn’t manage to get any today,

Main thing is eliminating dryer fault 😀