Washing machine and dryer under a benchtop.

debbie7, Mar 29, 9:45am
If I wanted to install both a washing machine and a dryer under a benchtop can I do it by just leaving a gap begin enough to fit and sliding them under the benchtop or do I need some sort of 'carcass' for them to fit into?

I have room for a 1000mm cupboard unit with sink in and then 1300mm to fit the washer and dryer. My thought was to get extra end panels and have one each end of the cupboard then one halfway down the gap and one at the end which would leave two gaps, one for each machine. The end panels would hold up the benchtop in the middle of the gap and at the end and I assume a piece of timber could be used across the back against the wall to support the benchtop. This would mean nothing across the front of the benchtop to support it apart from the end panel in the middle.

When I mentioned this to our builder though he seemed to think I would need some sort of carcass for the machines. Is this necessary? Is what I'm imagining just bodging it? Any help/advice much appreciated.

budgel, Mar 29, 9:52am
You are right, washing machines are not like a wall oven. You may have to allow for ducting for the dryer installation. The power & plumbing/drainage for the WM will take some room too, so it could be a tight fit.

debbie7, Mar 29, 10:15am
Thanks budgel. I thought I was having a brainfart when I was explaining to the builder eh! He obviously wasn't picturing the same as I was. But I was looking at our dishwasher and that's just fitted into a gap under the bench, no cupboard or support around it.

The washing may stick out a little bit to fit the pipes, etc. behind but there's room behind the dryer as it's only 450mm deep. We have no easy way to duct for the dryer but the sparkie reckons an expelair type fan in the exterior wall will do the job. OR, if I can convince my husband to splash out a bit more, apparently there are dryers now that don't need venting so I could push for a new one ;)

Do you think the end panel for support in the middle of the gap would be necessary or overkill?

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 29, 10:29am
Bodging it would be what we've done in our shared laundry space - stretching a wooden panel across the top of two dryers to provide a benchtop for folding and sorting. Works perfectly, has done for four years, but your idea sounds more attractive lol. Our dryers are front vented, so we dismantle the bodge job periodically to give the dust bunnies a chance to escape then put it all back together.

debbie7, Mar 29, 11:04am
That would work just as well for me oh_hunni :D but seeing as the builders are here anyway I thought I'd get as much work done as I could, take advantage as it were. Anything would be better than the cupboard size room I have at the moment!

amasser, Mar 29, 11:37am
Did your builder explain why he thought a carcass was necessary? Depending on the strength of the bench-top and usual loads on it, the middle support may be unnecessary. Have you considered hinging the bench to the wall, for cleaning and servicing of machines?

pauldw, Mar 29, 11:48am
If the drier doesn't go all the way back the pipes for the wm could go behind it. I made space for a dishwasher by shifting the back of a cabinet forwards. There was a 50mm gap already and the cabinet drawers didn't go all the way back. Being cheap I cut end panels in half as you can only see the front of them.

debbie7, Mar 29, 11:55am
Hi amasser. No he didn't explain why; said he'd never done an underbench washing machine/dryer before and just assumed it would go in a carcass. I still don't really understand why he would think this as dishwashers don't eh.

I haven't picked or ordered the benchtop itself yet but was thinking just a bog-standard one, nothing flash like granite or marble! Heaviest thing likely to be on it would be a full wash basket of wet clothes (plus random assorted crap that always gets left on a bench ^_^ )

I don't really like the idea of hinging it, have seen it suggested online but I'd prefer just the one solid top. Floor will be tiled so hopefully it'll be fairly easy just to pull out if anything needs servicing.

I've googled images for having both underbench and most don't seem to have any support in the middle. Even F&P have specs for both with only 60mm (so total 1260mm) allowance needed for movement. Maybe I need to look into weight tolerances for benches? Find some middle ground between standard and granite that doesn't cost the earth!

debbie7, Mar 29, 11:58am
My husband would be SO impressed with that! So would I. In fact I can't believe neither of us thought of it, us being from Yorkshire and both tight as the proverbial.

supernova2, Dec 1, 11:15pm
Just like a dishwasher. Only difference I can think off would be usually in a kitchen you will have units each side of the dishwasher which support the bench top. Just trying to support a bench on end panels wont make for a very sturdy structure. It could be done with a batten on the wall with the bench on top and some creative brackets to hold the end panels. Just check how much depth you need to allow for pipes, vents etc. A normal 600ish bench top might be a bit narrow. If it is you could use a breakfast bar top and get it cut down to suit perhaps.