Whats wrong with my washing machine?

Page 1 / 2
smoky80, Oct 29, 11:55pm
afternoon fellow traders.

i have got an issue with my fisher and paykel washing machine and hoping you clever people can help me fix this lol
over the last couple of years the washing machine most of the times would stop mid way through while filling the maching with water. we always set the water level to medium as for some reason the other two settings (high or low) did not seem to work! so halfway through water filling the machine would stop and gives out sharp beep at regular intervals. the trick that was working was we had to switch off the power at the wall and restart the machine with the same original setting. the water would continue filling in and then the wash gets completed. sometimes we had to do it one or more restarts. this was working ok until last week when the machine would come to a idle state after filling up with no washing done. all we could do was use next function and go onto to rinse and spin (this seemed to work except that clothes are not washed!). we also noticed that when kept at high water level the water filling seemed to continue and if left like that we got a feeling it would over fill the machine. so. if you have read this far, thank you :) any solutions please to fix this or know what is wrong? is it worth spending to fix or dump this?

johotech, Oct 30, 12:14am
A model number would help.
But at a guess, it could be the water level sensor.

sandymrph, Oct 30, 6:32am
it would definitely be worth fixing ( but only if you did it yourself). your first step should be to download a proper service manual for the model you've got and learn there how to get it to display "an error code" (sequence of lights. or whatever) interpreting this will tell you what is wrong with your machine. modern machines are very modular (all parts can simply be replaced ) , and even if, say, a motherboard seems "fried", if you're cunning and can work it out, you can jump it (or repair it) with some speaker wire and a bit of solder.

gaimon, Oct 31, 1:00am
re the high water level, we had a similar problem with the machine (Simpson) continuing to fill and thus flooding the laundry. Had it looked at but the problem persisted. They ended up taking the machine back to the workshop for a thorough going over and it turned out the the holes in the drum were caked up with what looked like undisolved washing powder. He unblocked all these with a screwdriver (such patience!) and I haven't had a problem since. Because the holes were blocked it wasnt tripping the sensor which determines the level.

aredwood, Oct 31, 10:05am
How fast is it filling? As if the water flow is too slow, the machine will think you haven't turned the taps on. It is also to help prevent floods in case the level sensor fails, and the controller thinks machine is empty when it is actually overflowing.

Also if the little pipe between the control module and the bottom of the bowl gets a leak it will probally cause the same problem.

gazzat22, Oct 31, 10:49pm
WE had a similar problem with an FP GW 52 (i think was the model).Serviceman took the bowl out,scrubbed it with a stiff brush ,washed it and put it back,good as gold.Seems its caused by cold washes and too much washing (powder)detergent.Her indoors now used liquid detergent.!

ralphdog1, Oct 31, 11:24pm
Fabric softener and cold washes are often the cause of machines getting gummed up. A very hot soak and wash with dishwasher powder is often a good way to get it cleaner.

extrayda, Nov 1, 12:32am
Probably not your issue, but my washing machine used to beep all of the time when filling up, was a pain to get it to work.
Then I discovered that the installation/delivery guy had transposed the hot and cold water intake pipes. Swapped them back over and fine since. I assume it was complaining that the water was too hot, so it was adding what it thought was cold water, making it worse.

smoky80, Nov 1, 3:23am
thanks heaps to all you guys. will get on to the suggestions.

franny8, Nov 1, 7:25am
I worked at Simpson for some years a while ago and I so clearly remember the service guys all saying that Fabric Conditioners should be banned, they cause untold damage, block up just about everything. I never use them and tell everyone not. If it is not the problem I would say it is certainly contributing to it. I also recall the guys saying you should do a hot wash at least once a fortnight to clear out the soap powder. My machine is about 15 years old, I do (or don't do) all of the above and have never had to call a serviceman.

pamow69, Nov 1, 7:42am
smoky80 in one of the other catagories that you posted this question in I asked you to verify that you were reading the error code correctly because the error code you gave doesn't apply to this model. I am a service guy who works on these wash machines all the time. If I get the correct error code I can tell you exactly what is wrong & how to fix it.

smoky80, Nov 1, 9:33pm
thanks peter. will do a run on this and get back to you.

pericles, Nov 1, 9:36pm
I have all sorts of trouble with mine just lately
Been looked at, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it

pericles, Nov 1, 9:39pm
I use white vinegar instead of fabric softener

smoky80, Nov 2, 1:33am
surprisingly we could wash some clothes today (that saved us from running to the laundryshop). but the original problem is still there. that is when we set water level to medium and select regular wash with spin speed high water is not fully filled (set for medium). it just stops in between and light comes on both hot and cold wash temp. it then starts making that rippling musical sound like the one you get when you first switch power on at the wall (exactly as picked up by you below). the sounds keeps repeating. so we normally switch off the power at wall, then back again. we set all the same controls as original and re-run the machine. sometimes we have to repeat couple of times the above exercise to get the wash completed. today after i got the sound i switched off at wall and on again. then pressed the power and wash temp. and then got light only on spin. i.e. 00 000 001. i then pressed up button of spin until medium (as suggested by you earlier). once this was done, there was no light on in the top row. i.e. 00 000 000. note though that all the washes we have been doing over the years is with cold water. we have not turned on the hot water. hopefully i have explained well? :-)

feisha, Nov 2, 8:11am
Assuming this is a moderately old smart drive, this erratic behaviour is usually caused by damp circuit boards. Undo the 2 screws that hold the top of the control panel, lift the edge 10-15mm, aim a hair-dryer at low heat into the gap for 1/2 hour if possible. Put panel and screws back and try your wash.
If this makes a difference, the board needs to be taken out, properly dried, re-varnished and put back.
One of the signs of this fault is a different error code each time the fault occurs or an error code that is completely irrelevant.

smoky80, Nov 2, 8:32am
thanks feisha

pamow69, Nov 2, 8:35am
Ok now we are getting somewhere. The rippling sound is called a user fault & not an actual error code so will not show up in the memory. It is telling you the water is not filling fast enough & the water temp lights will be flashing (To say hey I have a problem getting water) First thing to check is take the inlet hose off the back of the panel. Point it in to the sink & turn on tap slowly to prove you are getting a strong flow of water & nothing wrong with your plumbing. Then check the filter in the inlet valve is not blocked with debris. You can pull the filter out with pliers and clean it if needed. Put the hose back on the valve, turn on tap fully & start to fill machine. Listen to the incoming water & also lift the lid to watch. Is the water dribbling in slowly & sounds high pitched like it is struggling? If it is, then replace the inlet valve & your problem will be solved.

smoky80, Nov 2, 11:42am
thanks peter.
just confirming that the wash temp lights (hot and cold) are steady and not flashing when the machine gives out the rippling sound. if i understand you correctly, there is a certain amount of water that needs to be filled within a certain time (for a selected water level setting). if that does not happen the machine stops. is this right?
i doubt there is any issue with the plumbing as the house is relatively new and also we had the same problem in our previous house. i will however check the hose as suggested. generally we kind of know by the sound of water filling if we have to get ready for a re-start. lol it is never the same always though. i mean, sometimes in the first trial the water would be filling well from start but then slows down after a while. after we re-start if the water filling sound is "healthy" we know the wash will be completed. if it struggles to fill (dripping with kind of grinding noise) as soon as we re-start we know we would have to re-start again as soon as the rippling sound comes.
i have not yet carried out your below suggestions but it sounds like i will need to replace the inlet valve. is that a straightforward exercise to do myself? do you have any video link that you can share? how much it may cost and where to buy? thanks heaps for your patience and help all way.

pamow69, Nov 2, 9:49pm
What model number? 3 different inlet valves and all different prices.

smoky80, Nov 3, 1:21am
Model: GW711 Excellence

pamow69, Nov 3, 10:23am
Inlet valves for that model are approx. $40. There may even be some for sale on TM.

pamow69, Nov 3, 10:53am
Listing 975329831 or 2nd hand ones on listing 972902237 The top pair 24Volt digital.

pamow69, Nov 3, 11:00am
Listing 973676245 has a brand new one for $20

smoky80, Aug 10, 8:17am
thank you so much Peter. really appreciate your help.