HELP -my front-loading washing machine won't spin

Page 1 / 2
cosimo, Jul 5, 1:55am
It's full of water! I have put it through the spin cycle several times, and it won't stir itself. I envision a flood if I open the door. Any suggestions on how to avoid that? Or is it inevitable?

cantabman1, Jul 5, 2:56am
you could see if something simple like a belt has come off, but whatever you do, it will require you emptying out the bowl first.

cosimo, Jul 5, 3:23am
It won't be simple, I'm afraid - it's been inconsistently playing up for a while. Any suggestions on how to empty the bowl to minimise the flood?

les6, Jul 5, 3:26am
check no one has pushed the drip dry button?

koru67, Jul 5, 3:53am
Do you not have your instruction manual or cannot google and find it online. My manual (which may not apply to your machine) says to empty via the drain filter and then there is an emergency release flap which will open the door.

cosimo, Jul 5, 4:25am
I don't have an instruction manual any longer, but I'll check that out koru - thank you.

trade4us2, Jul 5, 8:31am
There's probably a filter and drain outside at the very bottom which you are supposed to check regularly. Have a large flat tray underneath and pull the plug out of the little pipe and let it drain.
Is there not a maker's name somewhere?

tonijo, Jul 5, 8:38am
Ours did this a couple of months ago, removed a plate off the back and put the belt back on as it had come off. Hope you can fix yours as easy.

happymullen, Jul 5, 8:43am
That happened to my front loader too. Called out the appliance man, he found a little "door" on the front of the machine, pulled put a drainage tube to empty the washer, water smelt yucckyy, had been there a few days! And cleared out some small sticks from somewhere, all fixed!
I think I was able to open the door once the machine had been turned off for a while, just caught the water as it came out, squeeged out most of the water and clothes, the yucky stuff was what was left in the lower part of the machine.
I never knew the drainage tube was there! Good luck.

pamow69, Jul 5, 9:09am
If it is full of water it will not spin until empty. You probably have a blockage in the drain pump. As others suggested look for the drain pump filter-usually low down on front. You may have to remove the toe kick panel to find it on some makes. You haven't said what make yours is. Once you have drained water with the tube into a container (very slow process) then unscrew the filter and look inside for any obstruction. If pump is clear and still does not drain then pump may be faulty.

brightlights60, Jul 5, 12:21pm
This, most of them have a small drain you can open and 9 times out of 10 something like a bra wire, a coin, or something similar will be in there blocking it. The one good thing about front loaders is that you can usually fix this yourself.

lythande1, Jul 5, 7:28pm
Happened to my mum too, she was hoping belts or pump - but turned out to be circuit board and they couldn't get parts as it was too old.
She has a new machine now.

gem661, Jul 5, 8:42pm
Happened to one our family. They had some visitors put bras through a wash cycle. A bra underwire & one earring were the culprits. Had a job extracting them. It solved the problem.

hazelnut2, Jul 5, 10:08pm
The door opening system relies on water depth, so you won't be able to open the door until you have drained the water out manually.

Methinks your filter is clogged solid.

The small door on the bottom front of the machine hides access to the filter. Some have a small drain tube to let the water out slowly, others don't which means the filter has to be unscrewed slowly. Have a low bowl wedged under the filter and your hand tightly on the screw so that you can close it immediately the bowl is full. Don't let the screw top come undone from the water pressure, because if your machine is full of water that'll be a huge mess to clean up if it all comes out at once!

Once the water is out, pull the filter out and de-gunk it. put it back in, and run a rinse cycle and watch if water comes out of the drain pipe.

I had this problem when I washed a feather pillow and the fabric burst and clogged my machine with feathers!

cosimo, Jul 6, 1:30am
Okay, I have found what I assume is the drain tube, but although I can move the screw, it stops and won't go any further. It seems to be all plastic - I have WD40 - will that help loosen it? If not, I'll work on it gradually. And running the spin cycle repeatedly yesterday actually got rid of enough water to be able to open the door.

As for what it is - it says it's a Fisher & Paykel, but they say it is a Bosch that they put their label on (or something) and neither they nor Bosch want a bar of it. I think I am doomed.

pamow69, Jul 6, 2:24am
If you are talking about the screw in the end of the rubber drain tube then it will just pull out as it is really only a stopper. If you are talking about the large round black filter then that should unscrew anti clockwise fully until it comes out. If that black filter only turns a short way then stops it will be because the rubbish inside is jamming it. CRC won't help in that case. Pump will have to be taken out and pulled apart to clear it.

cosimo, Jul 6, 3:16am
This is the screw I mean. It did initially turn anti-clockwise, but only did half a turn. I can't pull it out. https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/395153093.jpg

isiqualo, Jul 6, 4:15am
that usually does a half turn or a couple more and pulls out horizontally. Perhaps try as you turn left or right, apply gentle pressure pulling out as well.Might be a slot that it pulls thru and out. Its been so long since I owned one of these so my memory is a bit vague but you are on the right track to locate the fault. It might even be a hair pin or nail that's lying across the filter as I had and I could only pull out that bit slightly. I used a torch to look in the gap I created and used another stiff piece of wire / paper clip to hook out the culprit. turned out to be 2 rusty hair pins and a coin. Since then I always checked the female clothing for obstruction type stuff in the pockets before going in to the wash.keep us posted.

pamow69, Jul 6, 5:04am
That is the drain pump filter. It should turn fully 2 or 3 turns then come out. There must be something in there that is stopping it from turning. You may have to remove the whole pump from the inside of the cabinet and clean it out that way.The small hole on the right is usually where the rubber drain tube comes out.

trade4us2, Jul 6, 5:39am
Have a look behind the little hole on the right. Maybe the drain pipe has fallen through the hole.

hazelnut2, Jul 6, 9:17pm
If you got the drain pump filter unscrewed that far, all the water should have drained out by now. I agree with Pamow69 that something is stopping it from coming out. I would shine a torch and stick a skinny crotchet hook in the gap to see if I could pull any gunk out, or manipulate the obstruction to get the whole filter out. Failing that it's a serviceman's job to take the pump off and clean it out.

After this is fixed you'll know all about how it works and you'll be aware you need to clean the filter quite often!

ruby2shoes, Jul 6, 9:32pm
*groan* I don't even have a front loader, but I am totally transfixed reading this thread!

happymullen, Jul 7, 5:41am
And I didn't know you need to clean filters! Well well well! Better have a go at finding them. Thanks

cosimo, Jul 11, 2:46am
Well, it's taken a while - mostly because releasing the screw was very difficult, and it's so damn cold working with cold water! But mission accomplished, and the machine is now spinning like a dream.

The culprits? A tiny button, a $1 coin, a small stone and a toothpick. Plus some bits of unidentifiable oily gunk.

Thanks to all who helped - this is the first time I have repaired a faulty household appliance myself. I hope, though, I don't have to do it again soon.

And to any who were amused by my plight - just you wait! :)

koru67, Jul 11, 4:05am
Yay, well done. I must open ours one day and check it is clear.