New cheap washing machine under a thousand bucks

mommabean, May 22, 11:35pm
ideas please fisher and Paykel, LG, or Haier

lissie, May 23, 12:26am
They are all under $1000 - I think I paid around $600 for my last F^P

missymoo1000, May 23, 12:32am
Got an 8Kg Samsung for $800 which is going great.

kaddiew, May 23, 1:26am
My F&P, which was cheap at the time, is about 12 years old and never missed a beat.

lythande1, May 23, 1:40am
No way Haier.
Read here:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/haier.html

I bought a Hoover, it's now 13 years old, still going without problems, had good reviews, and had a manual rotary dial - electronic panels are a PITA if they get a problem.

coralsnake, May 23, 2:14am
The review is an American publication.
Do you have any NZ publication review?

lissie, May 23, 4:06am
Consumer NZ has them with reasonable reviews - 2 of their models are recommended along with the $4500 Miele washer dryer - I stand corrected I had no idea you could spend that much money on a washing machine!

They own F&P and basically Haier is the "budget" range. I've always had F&P and sold the last one at 10 years as it was getting a bit tired - one of the most competitive Tradem auctions I've ever run - well worth selling while they are still working if you want an upgrade!

solo2, May 26, 8:41am
Can I also add the 7 KG front loader from Daewoo ? We bought one years ago from Mitre 10 for $849 and it's brilliant.

bluefrog2, May 27, 12:17am
My Ariston front joader was under $1000. With that budget, you don't have to go for "cheap".

trade4us2, May 28, 9:16am
I got a Bosch for $900.

pixma, May 28, 7:06pm
Have a Haier washing machine which is several years old now, no problems.

macandrosie, May 29, 1:03am
We've had Simpsons for years & they have been really reliable.

intheoneone, May 31, 7:02am
$498 Samsung 6.5kg top loader, excellent machine, had it 6 months and it is great. Glass lid, two button start. I got it on special but you can still get them for under $1000.

peter148, May 31, 7:55am
Samsung makes excellent washing machines, they wash in a different and more sophisticated way than what the F&P do plus they play a song to let you know when they have finished.
The one catch with the Samsung is that they have a lint filter that needs manually emptying at the end of every wash, just like clothes dryers do.

catz21, May 31, 8:38pm
I agree with the Hoover. Mine was 13 years old when the spinner stopped working. Up till then, never a problem. Bought a Samsung front loader a year ago 7.5kg. running beautifully :)) Paid $785 on sale at Noel Leeming.

velenski, May 31, 9:51pm
haier are fine ,they are f&p ,our one is 6 years old and going good. cost $680

rojill, Jun 26, 12:38pm
Consumer tested washing machines some years ago and the the best of all w/m available in NZ at the time were the ones from The Warehouse. Made in Korea if my memory serves me right. No agitators, just water jets and pulses .

johotech, Jun 26, 7:21pm
I presume the people above with the Samsung washing machines are aware of the recall on some models sold between 2010 and 2013?

There have been quite a few that have caught on fire.

http://www.samsung.com/nz/support/rework/

budgel, Jun 26, 7:29pm
I bought one of the warehouse cheapies years ago for $300 on special when my old machine died, I could have only afforded a second hand machine at the time. It came with a 2 year warranty. It has never missed a beat and it has the best spin cycle I have ever seen, the clothes come out almost dry to the touch. Much better than my Mum's new Simpson in that respect.

marte, Jun 29, 7:06am
I think mines a Haier. Gotten thru winz.

Don't get one. It takes hours to fill up, the water just really piddels into the machine and takes over 1/2 the wash time.

Its also made for people who read/write from 'right to the left'.
So the power buttons on the right of the dashboard, the next button you use is the next left one, then left again, and again.
Damn annoying.

But the water flow problem is a really stupid thing to do when they designed it.

andyb2, Jun 29, 9:17am
We bought a haier, very pleased. About $700 Harvey Norman.

budgel, Jun 29, 11:46am
Have you made sure the restrictors are out of the inlet hoses?

tigger8, Dec 3, 10:58pm
I have a Haier 7.5kg, had heaps of problems just after 12 months, at about 18 months had it replaced as was starting to rust, if I knew how noisy they were would have never bought it. Apparently they make the noise, according to the repairman and Haier office