Washing machine squeal

Page 1 / 2
moppy26, Jul 27, 5:38am
My Fisher and Payel washing machine has a squeal when it starts up after it has filled with water. Does it for a short time and then ieors the normal cycle okay, what could be the problem?

tweake, Jul 27, 6:13am
what model?

farmerjohn, Jul 27, 6:37am
Drive belt may need replacing

kaddiew, Jul 27, 6:38am
My F&P has just started doing the exact same thing. It's a Smart Drive Pride, at least 12 years old, and never missed a beat till now.

(Sorry to hijack your thread, OP)

cabrio1, Jul 27, 6:57am
Does sound like a drive belt slipping/ squeeling as it takes up the weight of the full drum. Just a big rubber band in the back. Same as a fan belt squeeling on a car.
Just took my machine to bits to change a drum bearing.
You tube showed me step by step. Will be a tutorial for belt change also.
Saves heaps

sausageman, Jul 27, 8:07am
Smart Drive machines don't have belts, there is a couple of bearings that will need to be replaced
there are manuals online

pamow69, Jul 27, 8:18am
It does not have a drive belt if it is a Fisher & Paykel top loader. They haven't had belt driven machines for the past 20 yrs. If it squeals then it will be the bearings need replacing. If it only does it for a short time at start of the agitate then I wouldn't worry about it yet but if it starts getting loud when spinning then get the bearings replaced before it does more serious damage. If it is a front loader then yes it will have a belt.

timbo69, Jul 28, 9:10am
could just be suspension squeaking, 5 minutes and bit of Vaseline would eliminate that possibility, probably bearings - you can get from F&P online store - but requires a decent amount of mechanical and electrical aptitude - Strongly recommend doing main seal at same time also check main drive shaft for wear - just where seal seats.

kaddiew, Jul 28, 10:55am
I'm not the original poster, but very helpful, thanks folks.

moppy26, Jul 28, 8:45pm
Thanks for all the help.

nukhelenc, Jul 29, 7:23am
Mine has done the same for some time now, it happens when its filling with cold water, so im thinking it has something to-do with the water inlet valve thing ?
Cant be bearings, and like others say it has no belt.
So im keen to find out myself.
Mines a F&P Q. Top loader
Its to do with water, but what part?
Its gotta be the gadget that opens and closes the water going in, Whats that part called?

nukhelenc, Jul 29, 7:38am
The machine is only on a very slow rotation when it happens, The Squeal sound, so it cant be anything to do with rotation, as its not fast enough for the sound it makes,
Im convinced its the water inlet valve, as it only happens for a minute or so and when the machine first starts to load the water.

I can make a video of it, but i have no place to upload it for you to view and listen.

johotech, Jul 29, 7:46am
Yes it's called a inlet valve.
The noise could be a partially blocked filter, water pressure change or even coming from the tap that it is connected to.

Try closing and opening the water tap while it is filling and see if the noise changes.

nukhelenc, Jul 29, 7:59am
Done that in the past and no change #13
Has a new well year old cold water hose, filters clean then.
I just made a vid of the first 4 minutes with no washing in the bowl and its turned me into a liar lol.
Ill record the next load soon, as Jennifer isn't playing ball, wouldn't ya know it.

tmenz, Jul 29, 8:34am
The COLD water valve is a 'proportional' valve, not just ON/OFF. The machine should do a 'soft' close to turn off the water relatively slowly when the water is at the right level, to avoid water 'hammer' or 'shock'. It does this by gently reducing the duty cycle of the pulsed voltage that operates the valve to zero over a short period of time.
It's conceivable that a part of some valves may mechanically resonate at some point in the closing cycle, thus producing a squeal.
Or it may be that the water itself is causing part of the valve to squeal as it presses through the diminishing gap in the closing valve!

Or it could be the rat that has taken up residence in the bottom of the machine objecting to being disturbed.

nukhelenc, Jul 29, 8:58am
Your sounding right on #15
Ive just done a full load and Jennifer is all good.
Tomorrow she will talk?

nukhelenc, Aug 12, 3:47am
Ok so mine makes that sound when water is coming out of the side shown in the picture. Any clues anyone
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/403101541.jpg
Its a F&P Q

mm12345, Aug 12, 5:18am
Probably squeaking inlet valve as mentioned above. Mine does that intermittently, filter is clean, cold water pressure is quite high, has been doing it for about 4 years (22 year old smart drive machine). Solenoid valves last replaced about 8 years ago. I suppose I could make it go away by reducing the water flow through the tap - but then it'd take longer to fill.

pamow69, Aug 12, 9:11am
When the water comes from the R.H. side like that it is recirculating the water in the bowl by running the drain pump and sending the water up the recirculating hose instead of out the drain hose. The inlet valve is not in operation at this time so you can discount that. I suggest you check the drain pump. Sometimes the brass bush bearing dries out & squeels. Tip machine back against wall and spray a bit of CRC on bearings of pump. See if that helps.

nukhelenc, Aug 12, 10:36am
If i get time tomorrow ill try that and report back :)

nukhelenc, Aug 14, 11:56pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/403752221.jpg

So in the pic, i sprayed a little on the bottom of that black dusty fan and on the top side of that fan, but im thinking its above this little motor that needs looking at?
So if so that would mean undo it and drop it down to get into it better ?
Did do a wash and nothing happened, as it wont do it all the time but most the time.

mrsrickp, Aug 15, 2:11am
Mine squeals when it is emptying the water, only for about 15 seconds but still a squeal! Any idea's on that one?

pamow69, Aug 15, 8:15am
Do same as suggested in #19,

pamow69, Aug 15, 8:23am
What is all that white stuff? Looks like maybe soap powder residue which could indicate that the pump is leaking. If so, I would replace it before it shorts out & damages your control board. In the pic there is a piece of aluminium just above the black fan. That holds the lower brass bearing, spray crc between fan and bearing. 2nd one is above the black core and mounted in base of that white plastic part. You can get a crc nozzle in there to spray that one as well.

nukhelenc, Aug 16, 1:46am
Its just Dust, not leaking :) Thank god :)
Maybe i should give it a little clean. Yip ive sprayed with wd40.
I done a load last night, not sure if it made that squeal, but will keep an eye on it over the next week.
Thanks for all the help :)

Its about 13 years of dust, thats the age of the machine, its done me well, its only had that hose underneath replaced with the 90 degree bend as it split about a year ago
Ill check it again and clean it this time :)