Help gib sealer paint

karma4, Jul 14, 9:47am
the sealer we have painted over the gib is cracking and flaking in the corners. can anyone tell me why? we sanded it back to take it off and repainted and its done the same thing again. What do we need to do? tia.

johotech, Jul 14, 10:16am
What type of sealer and what type of gib?
Is it only cracking where the stopping is, or everywhere?
Was the stopping dusted down properly?
How long ago was the stopping done?

zak410, Jul 14, 10:17am
can only think of dust or dampness but dampness not likely after re-sealing?

johotech, Jul 14, 10:31am
Or maybe too cold - either for the sealer or the stopping to dry fully. If the stopping was done fast, the base coats could take quite a few days to dry in cold weather.

jezabeel, Jul 15, 4:52am
Yep either dust, more likely too cold.

rufus113, Jul 15, 5:11am
Have had the same thing happen to me.I was using a water based sealer over well dried plaster.Phoned the paint company & their rep came out & suggested using an oil based sealer.Did so,it did smell strong but worked well & gave better coverage than the water based.

zak410, Jul 15, 5:40am
It's good to thin the water based sealer with up to 10% water, it penetrates more into the stopping compound.

karma4, Jul 15, 11:40pm
ty, we have sanded back again, going to make sure it is totally dust free and try again.

payntr, Jul 16, 3:13am
Rep was correct,the only sealer I use,never had a problem.

floralsun, Jul 16, 12:25pm
+ 1. Guthrie Bowron had the product. ask them specifically for your situation. it wasn't their product, something like Zeilness, sorry don't have the tin handy

zoopa, Nov 21, 7:04am
Zinsser? Yes, that is good stuff