Mixing paint

differentthings, May 7, 4:03am
I have 10 litres of paint that is too dark for our liking. Took it back to Resene and they said they can only make it darker, not lighter. Now that I'm home I was thinking of mixing it with some white paint that I have here to get the colour I want. Will this work?. thx

dbab, May 7, 4:12am
Try a small amount of coloured paint with a very small amount of the white and see if it works.
Bear in mind you would probably never match the colour again if you needed more.
You could always sell what you have and start again. too.

morrisjvan, May 7, 6:27am
you can mix it with white , as long as it is the same type of paint. whether you can get the colour you want though , is another thing altogether !

sally63, May 7, 7:08am
Yes. But do it slowly and you may not get the colour you want as the above poster said. Try using 1/2 litre of Resenes and add the white in increments keeping a record and being exact with your measurements. Dont add to the whole 10 litres!
Good luck

differentthings, May 7, 9:20am
Yep cool. I might give it a go. Thanks for your replies.

stitch50, May 7, 9:32pm
I've always found that you need to put the darker colour into the white and just keep adding it until you get the colour closer to what you want .
adding the white to the darker shade only seemed to add to the volume .

annies3, May 7, 10:18pm
True,
Which is probably why OP when you asked to have the colour lightened the supplier said it couldn't be done, as you would need to purchase the white first.
Also we used paint we mixed to a colour we needed then when we used it all we took a small sample into a paint supplier it was analysed and they were able to match it exactly, no problems.

mrfxit, May 7, 11:54pm
Yep as above.
Easier to darken then lighten hence why they won't do it because it involves increasing the base volume a lot.

gammelvind, Jan 15, 3:14pm
You might find it takes another 10 litres of light base (or more) to lighten the original colour back to the shade that you require. Often it is more economical to start afresh.