Removed wallpaper - now paint.what sealer

branpy, Apr 6, 8:17am
Hi there

So there were too many hours this morning and I rashly pulled off the wallpaper on a feature wall in a bedroom. It came of cleanly wall is ok. I have lightly sanded and washed the wall. Resene website says to apply 2 diff sealers - what a pain to buy two products its only this one wall I won't be doing any others. Are there any other sealers out there that would do it in one or be more useful for future jobs. I do already have undercoat left over from painting previously.

This is what resene says to do:

After removing wallpaper, roughly sand to remove surface imperfections.
Fill any dents and scraper cuts. Apply Resene Sureseal (D42) followed by
Resene Broadwall Surface Prep & Seal (D807) lightly sanding between
coats. Fill gaps after sealing.

iluvmuse, Apr 6, 8:47am
Sureseal (i.e. oil based pigmented sealer) is the important sealer. You could use your own undercoat over top of it or potentially 2 top coats straight over the Sureseal if the wall is in perfect condition.

shakespeare6, Apr 7, 9:24am
The broad wall surface and prep is a high solids prep coat. Basically it's like a paint thickened with plaster. It's very very thick and you roll it on with a solids roller or I use a roller sleeve with 6 mm nap. It's designed to fill minor imperfections etc it's not a requirement . If your gib is in good nick and pretty flat you don't need to use that. If you want you can, roll it on then use a 250 grade paper and rub it down lightly and you will get a glass finish. Really good where you are painting over paper fills in the lines. Pretty expensive around about $170 per 10 L . Main thing as above said is the pigmented sealer roll that on and let it dry 24 hours -

branpy, Apr 7, 9:55am
Ahh thanks. Resene Broadwall Surface Prep & Seal does sound good actually, I will consider it more so if I could buy a smaller tin def won't need 10 L!

happychappy50, Apr 7, 10:18am
Have found "BIN" products are designed for ALL sealing interior & exterior,often branded products are pushed by respective stores.I have never had a failure with these products in the decades of use,including painting over previous wall papered walls,a couple of coats of sealer then your choice of your colour & sheen level,most popular for walls is a low sheen,FYI I have use Bin 123 $88.00 for a 4 litre can @ Bunnings.

happychappy50, Apr 7, 10:22am
Also,before any sealer is applied I give the surface a good scrub with a pole sander using a 80 grit paper,helps get those bits of flock/paper off & residue gum

branpy, Apr 8, 6:36am
Hey thanks happy. Makes sense I don't always buy "branded" products in other areas just whatever I find works best.

I have just bought the Sureseal as it was on special 25% off so $40 for what I need not as good value as the Bins but I won't be near a bunnings until next week. So that is my only cost for this wee project as the previous owners left plenty of the paint. I actually think the bedroom is going to look much larger with out the dark feature wall.

rbd, Feb 10, 7:02am
One thing with the Zinesser products, I've used the water based "self priming" white gloss paint on a laundry. It was a very thin product and I wouldn't call the four coats needed for coverage "self priming". Grrr.

I've also used a zinesser sealant for exposed wooden beams. It was also water based from memory and tacked off almost straight away, you had to paint the beams in 12 inch long sections as brush marks were horrific. Two coats of sealant and three coats of ceiling paint and it does look good, a lot of work though.