Stripping wallpaper then painting the walls

esiuol1, Sep 23, 9:33pm
Please, can someone advise me on the procedure. Problem - rental house has damaged wallpaper in the toilet. (1980s shiny vinyl). A large strip of paper has been torn off. It looks awful. No spare paper to fix it. We don't want to re paper, as we don't have the skills, but would paint. After stripping the paper, what is the painting procedure please?

tigra, Sep 23, 9:39pm
Believe me there is no special skill involved in re-papering - except for the space restrictions and number of fittings attached to the walls, but there may be some in stripping, filling and painting.,

zak410, Sep 23, 10:32pm
Agree with tigra 100%

but if you really want to paint:

- Remove the vinyl layer of the wall paper.
- Really soak the base part to scrape it off.
- Paper tape all joints of the Gib-board and internal corners if cracked.
- Apply a skim coat of plaster (thin coat) over the whole surface of walls.
- Sand, seal, paint.

If the base part of the wall paper is near impossible to remove without damaging the surface of the Gib, seal it with a pigmented sealer, then paper tape where needed, skim coat, sand, seal again and paint.

annies3, Sep 24, 1:35am
Wallpaper is much easier than painting as above, preparation for painting is very much more precise and any imperfections are very obvious especially if you use gloss paint.

biggles45, Sep 24, 1:54am
Agree. Recently moved, and am in the process of doing this, and our paper has probably been up that long too (why do people not redecorate regularly?). I found it impossible to remove the backing paper without damaging the gib - probably wasn't even sized before papering. Painting wasn't really an option so repapered with a plainish paper, which looks far better than painting over imperfect walls.

fordcrzy, Sep 24, 2:03am
much less hassl eto rip off the gib. reline it and paint fresh gib than trying to carry on with stripping wall paper

zak410, Sep 24, 2:58am
#-6- considering skirtings, scotias, architraves and pipes, definitively not for a small room.

biggles45, Sep 24, 3:14am
Nah, that involves taking all the skirting, architrave, covings off. that's a huge job and often they don't come off easily so they split.

esiuol1, Sep 21, 1:59pm
I think I'll repaper now. It's a rental house that the tenants tore a large strip off, and didn't consider trying to paste it back. I'm only looking for the cheapest tidy up. There's paper here that would do the job. Thanks for your replies.