Bringing two coloured walls together-ideas?

susievb, Dec 19, 2:14am
I live in a unit, there is a brick wall dividing my unit from the front one.The wall starts at my front door going through the lounge, then becomes the kitchen wall with oven and cupboards along it.

I have painted the kitchen one colour and the lounge wall another and was thinking is there a creative way to bring them together other than a straight vertical line between them?

maclad, Dec 19, 3:21am
I guess being brick makes it a bit harder to do but what about one of those narrow wall paper strips (frieze?) from floor to ceiling which incorporates both colours. Or maybe a tall pot plant or some type of stand, eg hat or coat or pot plant hanger maybe with a strategically placed arm chair there as well.

susievb, Dec 19, 5:18am
Oh I just had am idea depending on how much it costs I may get a decal like this: http://www.123rf.com/photo_15099261_open-zipper.html

to zip the two colours together

dibble35, Dec 19, 6:32am
Thats cool. I need something like that. I'm decorating my kitchen next month and if i change the wall colour i have the same problem, as the kitchen shares a wall with the dining room which shares a wall with the lounge - they are all painted the same lovely cream - boring!

asue, Dec 19, 6:38am
What colour are you going to pick dibble? Mine is the same so am watching this thread with interest. I was thinking of a wooden board painted in a bright colour to break the areas? about 2inches wide - floor to ceiling? just dunno.

fantail8, Dec 19, 6:48am
What I see in my mind is using the two colours you have is two triangles, each triangle starting on the other colour - using the bricks as a guide eg the point of the triangle is on brick and then the next row is two bricks going out, the next is three, the next is 4 bricks and so on until you reach the full height of the wall with the bricks. Hope this makes sense as I am struggling to describe what I see in my mind

susievb, Dec 19, 7:48am
I think l know what you mean fantail, and yes dibble 35 boring dark cream here, for all walls and ceiling.

Now teal bathroom, bright yellow loo, peachy orange kitchen, and now pepprmint lounge wall - only because l could not buy lime green, yellow, or turquios because they required special bases.

dibble35, Dec 20, 1:57am
Good on you. I still dont know what colour im going to paint the walls. I've got a dark grey lino going in, new dark coloured bench top, I'm going to paint the old tiled splashback red - this covers above the benches, above sink, and all round behind the stove from the floor to head height, quite a large area to paint red but a lot of it will be hidden by the stove. im hoping it wont be to overwhelming. Then im re doing the kitchen cupboard doors I think a lighter shade of the bench top. Went to Bunnings to day looking at paint samples, already have the samples for bench top and lino.Think i'll have to keep the wall colour quite light. I'll try and put up some photos

dibble35, Dec 20, 2:13am
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/434247360.jpg Colour samples - although camera changes them a lot, not so orangey, more blood red https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/434247395.jpg Shows all the tiles i want to paint https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/434247319.jpg This is where the kitchen changes to the dining room, no obvious place to do a wall colour change is there

susievb, Dec 21, 2:33am
Bunnings have a paint called spring it is put out by british paints, it only comes in white, but as bunnings have free tinting good value 4L $23, and 10L $46. Because only in white will only take paint with a white base.

asue, Dec 21, 7:40am
That sounds good value - is it ok to paint interior with? type of finish?

lythande1, Dec 21, 7:01pm
I have a kitchen like that0 becomes the dining room.
I painted them all the same colour - It was 2 colours originally and just made it look weird.

hazelnut2, Dec 21, 7:53pm
No place to do a colour change so I'd paint that wall the same colour. BUT you could make another whole wall in the dining room a feature wall and paint IT a different colour.

dibble35, Dec 22, 3:43am
Im going to stick with the original cream I think

zirconium, Dec 22, 6:58am
It would look lovely in any colour! - (Maybe not pink or blue, lol). In my head i can see the original cream, white, light grey, pale taupe, sage green, even a really pale terracotta. It could work to put a panel up (like a painting) between the dining room and kitchen with a triangle or Maori koru design with the dark grey, red, and cream on it.

susievb, Jun 30, 6:00pm
Hi asue the kitchen and lounge paint are semi gloss interior and exterior, l have found them good, l am painting on painted brick and look good.