Making shower floor and walls out of vinyl

trade4us2, Oct 17, 1:44am
I need to install a shower that has no big step to get into it.
I was thinking of laying new vinyl over the whole bathroom floor (which is tiny). andsloping the vinyl towards the shower outlet.
There's no room to install a conventional shower unit, and the mess left by removing the existing bath needs to be covered up.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't put vinyl on the walls all the way round, up to 1.8 metres high!
What's best for under the vinyl on the floor! I was thinking of 7mm or 10mm plywood, glued and screwed down to the T&G floorboards.

skin1235, Oct 17, 1:54am
sealing it all will be the issue, but what you're talking is the basic wet room treatment
check for a glue that will 'weld' the vinyl for the corners etc
you'll want to slope back to a drain point, 7mm or 10mm ply will need a lot of support the make it rigid enough - 20mm would be better and even that will need some good wedges to maintain the slope to drain
certainly feasible, the trick is to have it water proof behind that vinyl skin ie no water gets through it

trade4us2, Oct 17, 2:07am
The plywood would be resting on a T&G floor everywhere.
I haven't decided how I will make the slope inside the shower area - probably plane the underneath of the plywood and glue to floor.

mokaumoi, Oct 17, 2:31am
I think you will need more fall than just what you will get by planing the ply. Re read skins post above! You will need wedges.Many people have wetroom showers now-talk to a builder and a plumber about what you need to do.

harrislucinda, Oct 17, 2:45am
iputvinylon thewallsaroundashowerthatwasoverabath
andaroundthebaththatwasboxedinlookedgreat
Backthenyoucouldbuyatubethatsealedtheseams
hadnoproblems

cwnda, Oct 17, 3:17am
Remove the floorboards in the shower area, cut & lower the joists to the required angles & then lay appropriately treated plywood (thickness to match the floorboards) in triangles to fit the area with the centre corners coming together at the drain point. Seal the ply together & fit the drain. The walls of the shower area should be lined with the correct water-resistant lining & finished smooth. The skid-resistant flooring vinyl should be coved up the walls about 100mm & then the wall vinyl can be glued to the walls overlapping the coved flooring. The whole job must be sealed water-tight to prevent leakage. The flooring can be heated to mould & follow the contours of the drain area & the chrome-plated bezel can be screwed in to complete the job. All tap & shower-head holes should be sealed too. There are specific requirements for this type of job so probably best you investigate with your council.

cwnda, Oct 17, 3:31am
Just another thought too - make sure ALL building, plumbing, cable & other work which is going to be behind the wall vinyl is completely finished with no errors because it's bloody hard to make repairs without stuffing up the whole damn job. Been there, done that. But it was someone else's fault.

singing1, Oct 18, 3:13pm
Lino can be welded on the joins which is much better then vinyl which has to be glued. Many commercial building have showers built in this manner.

trade4us2, Oct 18, 9:54pm
I was thinking of having the floor vinyl go about 100mm up the walls and overlap the wall vinyl over it. So there would be only one place in one corner where water could get through, and I'll make a good job of that corner.

chas, Oct 20, 4:41am
well said cwnda as usual u are correct.us retired layers know it all eh.lol

cwnda, Oct 20, 11:33am
I thank you for your kind comment.

newtec1, Oct 21, 9:22am
You would be better off to remove the T&G in the shower area and shape the Floor joists to the correct fall and recess.You would then replace the floor with 20mm tan ply and waterproof the whole base up the walls 200mm. It may sound a lot of work, in fact easier than what you planned ,trust me it is not that difficult and will be a far superior finish than what you were thinking.

newtec1, Oct 21, 9:25am
You won't get much fall using 10mm ply,in fact it wiil be next to useless.

newtec1, Oct 21, 9:30am
I didn't see your post before i posted ,you are correct with the recess and ply.We have done that many times in new houses,and as you said it will need to be waterproofed totally by a tiler or water proof proffesional.

trade4us2, Oct 21, 9:46pm
The shub in my house has a 5mm fall in 600mm and that drains OK.
I propose lowering the floor around the drain by another 10mm. So that's 20mm fall in about one metre.

cwnda, Oct 22, 1:09am
20mm fall in one metre sounds almost right. Another small consideration - make sure the shower curtain hangs so that water that hits it drips down inside the sloping area otherwise you are dropping water on a flat floor rendering the slope a bit redundant. In other words, make sure the sloping area is plenty big enough.

newtec1, Oct 22, 3:08am
They are manufactured with fall built in to them,what i was refering to was trying to machine 10mm ply to suit and then overlay with whatever,not very stable.

guest, Oct 9, 7:54pm
well! i have finally had a chacne to read this, and i will respond to a few points:1) i DO think the medium in which a book is delivered, matters. just as i'm sure musicians might say that it matters whether it is played on vinyl or cd or mp3, because the consumer is consuming more than just the object itself also the experience. i go to john king books in detroit because i want to find a story within those books, i want the experience of living in a thousand histories and touching these books that have touched so many others, rather than the instant satisfaction of buying a new book on my kindle as soon as i finish the current one. now, that said, i realize the point of a book is to read it more than it is to experience the context in which said book is found, and so you have a great arguement for letting children read/encouraging them to read above all else but i also fear that the experience gets lost in the benefit of efficiency, which is what i do not want to see happen, and why i am not an ereader person. i LIKE the feel of a book in my hands. i would not like to read on an ereader, no matter how wonderful or convenient they are. grace, however, probably would.in terms of video games (in the comments), she's just 3 and hasn't dealt with violent games yet. she plays kirby and mario party and diego and zelda .i'm sure she will find herself wholly immersed in the world of video games soon, but i don't mean the world of gamers or whathaveyou in which she is spending an unhealthy amount of time playing a crudely violent game.oh gosh, i'm falling asleep as i type. sorry. thanks for this, nick!

guest, Oct 11, 8:33am
I was not a part of the video game conversation, so I can't rellay say. I'll ask her next time we get together though. I am curious as well.You were helped a great deal in dealing with mature video games for two factors. One by having two video game playing older siblings. We helped filter a lot of what you saw, exposing you in stages. You went from hearing about games to watching games to playing games. Before you ever picked up a controller, you had a culture of how to deal with what happens in the game. You were emotionally prepared to deal with the violence, the mature themes, etc. The second relates to the topic at hand: you were a reader. You were exposed to a wide variety of content, most of it handled far more maturely than most video games. Look at Salvatore's Homeland. That covers racial superior, slavery, gender discrimination, violence, culture war, religion. Relatively heavy stuff. Pretty easy to handle the over-the-top violence of GTA at that point. You were not confused about what is reality and what is fiction, having practiced that skill so strongly with novels.As for content not mattering, I was referring to a parent trying to dictate to their child what to read. I feel you should let your kid read whatever ze wants, as long as ze is reading. For exactly the reason you brought up: people will love reading far more when they read things that interest them.

guest, May 30, 6:43pm
I am quite interested in your idea that there is an excpeirnee in the physicality of the book and that the physically creates a benefit that you enjoy. You do not want to give them up for efficiency. I understand and respect that.I am the opposite. More often than not, the physicality of the book is my enemy. As Luke noted, it makes the books hard to carry around. A big book is hard to read, especially in my favorite position of lying on my back with the book above my head. If you are like me and enjoy alternating between books, you must bring multiple ones with you everyone. The Kindle gets no bigger or heavier regardless of how many I stuff in there. The lose of the physicality has given another benefit as well: I can mark up my books as much as I want, without ruining them. I can highlight, take notes, save special sections digitally. Even better, my Kindle syncs these to the web, making it easy to find and use them in the future. So to me, the e-reader is an escape from a weight that was holding me down. I understand for you, that is not the case. Luckily for you, I do not imagine physical books are going to disappear any time soon.