Retaining walls- which is more cost effective

fpress, Apr 17, 8:33am
rendered breeze blocks or timber!
Does anyone know please!

tigra, Apr 17, 8:48am
In many cases it comes down to the size of thge wall. I seem to recall that taller favours timber and they can look better too. But thats a personal thing.

fpress, Apr 17, 8:55am
Very wide -probably around 20 metres or so, but only 1.5 metres high.and about 5 of them!

tigra, Apr 17, 8:05pm
If they are over 1 metre you may need to have safety fences - depends on your design.

spiritofgonzo, Apr 17, 10:44pm
1.5m high - timber

mm12345, Apr 18, 1:30am
In most council areas, 1.5 metres high - building consent needed.1.49999 metres high, no consent needed in most cases.
There's plenty of incentive to do some creative landscaping in order to keep the height of the walls under 1.5 metres.As well as consent fees, if 1.5 metres or over, you'll probably need to have it designed by an engineer.

tigra, Apr 18, 2:11am
You ned to read Clause F4 Safety from Falling in the Building Code. where if there is a possible fall of more than 1 metre a safety railing must be added.

mm12345, Apr 18, 4:47am
Curious, as there's usually no requirement for consent for a retaining wall <1.5 metres, yet a retaining wall >1m is considered a "building" with regard to the above clause.So, in that case there's no checks that the code is met (in case of a wall between 1 and 1.5m high).
Just my opinion, but this is effing nuts.I live in a hill area where having retaining walls of typically about 1m high is the norm - practically everybody has them, yet nobody would have ever put a 1.1m high ballustrade wall at the top.It might make sense on a defined path/walkway, but otherwise it's crazy stuff.

fpress, Apr 18, 5:26am
What! I am talking about re-instating the original terraces in my garden. Sloping down to our back lawn, and then rising up again on the other side, into native bush. My neighbour has stone wall terraces with no handrails etc. Mind you he did do them about 30 years ago before all this PC nonsense came out. Could be less than 1.5m high, that was a guesstimate.

kaylin, Apr 19, 10:38pm
How long have you owned your house! I'm thinking retrospective consent. As in if those terraces were already there and you are just 'cleaning them up', then you may be covered anyway.

spiritofgonzo, Apr 19, 10:54pm
The reason there are consents, is because retaining walls are not to be taken lightly.Many people have no idea, and just want to terrace their land so it's more usable . then a 20yr, or 50yr storm hits (like the 2005 tauranga storms), and down goes all the retaining walls, wiping out the house below, and maybe the house above etc.They need to be done properly.

fpress, Apr 20, 7:30am
kaylin, we have had the house for over 20 years.and the house is over 100. There are possibly remnants under all the weeds of the original terraces.it was dry stone walled though. There are no houses below.we own all the land, and i want to terrace it back the way it was and grow fruit trees along the terrraces like my neighbour.

ae64, Apr 20, 8:38am
Hey fpress - go timber or something like firth keystone or even crib wall - to render a breeze block you need a proper foundation and steel and blockfill or the wall will crack badly. Keystone and crib wall are DIY products you will find easier to use

fpress, Apr 20, 10:52am
Thanks ae64.not doing it ourselves.going to get in a pro.We are on sand, so does your advice still stick! Ta

tigra, Apr 21, 4:15am
Yes its a bit contentious. We built anew house in a hill suburb 3 years ago and had to fit railingson our 3 retaining walls to get Code Compliance.

guest, Jun 2, 12:56pm
Thanks for your concepts. One thing relaly noticed is always that banks as well as financial institutions are aware of the spending behaviors of consumers plus understand that most people max out there their real credit cards around the holiday seasons. They smartly take advantage of this real fact and then start flooding a person's inbox along with snail-mail box having hundreds of Zero APR credit cards offers just after the holiday season finishes. Knowing that if you are like 98% of American open public, you'll jump at the possiblity to consolidate credit card debt and transfer balances towards 0 interest rates credit cards.

guest, Jun 5, 9:30pm
5ie5wI kteafqrwdyvw

guest, May 23, 6:14pm
du7jOL rjrfrdwilfup