Painting walls that have only ever had wallpaper

snow55, Jun 15, 3:40am
Hi we're wanting to strip our wallpaper off and then paint the walls - they've never been painted before. Is there any special preparation we need to do prior to painting?

zak410, Jun 15, 3:57am
the joints may have to be paper-taped if not done before;

you can usually tell by looking at the joints above and below windows and the internal corners.

msmeets, Jun 15, 6:47am
Preparation is the key to a good finish with paint, i striped the many layers of wallpaper (took ages) then got a gib stopper in to skim coat the walls. Probs could have done it myself but was over it and just wanted it finished.

pisces47, Jun 16, 7:31pm
Paint will not cover any blemishes, so if you can see a small mark or join then you will see it when painted

bluefrog2, Jun 16, 11:03pm
If the wallpaper is in good order, you may be able to simply paint over it and get a nice finish. Mum did that with a few rooms in her house. It was going to be too expensive to get the wallpaper removed, and the wall refinished for painting. Instead, the painters glued down any loose bits of wallpaper and made sure it was all flat, then simply painted over. The end product was a really nice, slightly textured wall.

brightlights60, Jun 17, 1:39am
Agree. When we bought our house 17 years ago it had hideous wallpaper in the lounge, and many layers. We just papered with a plain coloured paper over it, and the previous raised pattern came through. Looked ok, but it was just a fix it. After the quakes, we stripped it right back, skim coated and painted and now it looks fabulous.

roys351, Jun 18, 8:47am
how old is your house?

pogram0, Dec 13, 8:00am
I had my skim coated recently - expensive, but makes a really nice job.