Stripping wallpaper help please !

fran_02, Aug 31, 8:45am
Any suggestions please to strip wallpaper which is not budging ! We have tried the paper tiger before using the steamer. Also used preparations from hardware shop to soak through the paper but still it is almost impossible to remove. It is a Laura Ashley paper aprox. 30 - 40 years old. Not sure what sort of paste they would have used but it was certainly a good one !

zak410, Aug 31, 9:03am
Wet, wet, keep wet;

Sometimes when the wall paper was first hanged on new Gib without any primer/sizing it can be impossible to remove without damaging the plaster board.

In that case it is better to leave and touch-up or skim coat for whatever wall-paper or paint finish you want.

firefly001, Aug 31, 11:21am
Ive used an old saw blade instead of a paper tiger and hot soapy water in a weed sprayer. Lots of old towels on the skirting boards. That worked for no sizing. but it was lots of little cuts in the paper and spray, repeat on next drop, spray drop 1 and 2, wait again maybe 5 mins, scrape drop 1 on off the wall. Slice up drop 3, spray drop 2 and 3. Wait 5 and scrape off drop 2. I like paint now lol

pozzie-nz, Aug 31, 6:38pm
New Gib
Ended up been faster than striping though 4 layers of wall paper and 3 of Paint,

macandrosie, Aug 31, 7:53pm
I get a spray bottle of hot water water & soak it alot! Have had wallpaper like that & you really do need to wet it through. Good luck!

lemming2, Sep 1, 1:03am
This is what we wound up doing. Tricky if the old paper is textured, but great if it isn't. There's a prep you can use to seal off the old vinyl before painting, too. But no damage to the Gib, you just need to make sure that the paper joins are filled and the edges at doorframes etc aren't able to be lifted.

gearbox1, Sep 1, 4:15am
Yep been thru this all thru my house. As someone said - really hot soapy water and a helluva lot of elbow grease. Took me a month to do the lounge room - not full time of course, weekends and nights ! Worth it in the end.

txx3, Sep 1, 7:23am
and vinegar in your water for the brown paper layer

vomo2, Sep 1, 9:37am
White vinegar sprayed on made the job a breeze for us, we added it to warm water in the garden sprayer.

mtbotrev, Sep 2, 7:57am
we skim coated one room years ago when it was old and heavily patterned and was trashing the gib.

fran_02, Sep 2, 8:44am
Many thanks for all this great advice everyone . Beginning to wish we'd never started. !

kenw1, Sep 2, 8:59am
+1 It really does work.

flossy63, Sep 11, 9:29pm
Ok, came in here for ideas, think I have found my answer, stripped wallpaper before, no problems, gone to strip original wallpaper from spare room, won't budge, it sounds like walls were not sized, and stuck on the Gib ! , Thanks people.
Ok, off to garden shed to get my new garden sprayer and christen it by filling with hot water ! ,

viking60, Oct 3, 12:46pm
Try warm water with washing up liquid in it. Brush it on and leave for about 10 minutes and it should scrape off. (score it first). If it is still stubborn brush it on again to make sure it has soaked right through.