Painting over wallpaper

3ofeach, Oct 28, 12:54am
Is this a good idea? Wallpaper is under 10 years old and in good nick but daughter wants a completely different colour.

korban, Oct 28, 3:28am
I would not do it, it makes it so much harder when you decide to remove the wallpaper.

mlarkin, Oct 28, 4:04am
You would be better for her to choose new wallpaper rather than paint over. We bought a house where the previous owners had painted over wallpaper in most rooms, and it has been EXPENSIVE and very TIME-CONSUMING
to get it off. Capricorngirl

johotech, Oct 28, 5:01am
It's really not a big deal. Just paint over it if you want to. The paint shops will be able to advise about the correct primer you will need to use.

Removing painted wallpaper is no more difficult than non painted. When people have trouble removing wallpaper, it wouldn't have made any difference if it was painted or not. If it wasn't prepared properly when it was hung, then it will be hard to get off.

maddie44, Oct 28, 5:01am
I haven't found it any harder to strip paper that has been painted than not painted. All depends on the paper, how old and how well it was done in the first place.
The top layer of painted paper I am taking off at the moment is certainly easier than the two layers underneath it. No fun at all