Ever tried to paint wood drawers with gold paint?

lambrat, Mar 30, 7:28pm
i think i've given up sanding a very nice old set of drawers back to rimu, they were looking fab but now have a water stain on top and down front.
to get rid of that i'll have to sand all winter, and am thinking of other options.

does anybody know whether theres a gold paint that would kind of match old fashioned picture frames?

vivac, Mar 30, 7:41pm
Go somewhere like Wairau paint centre and they can put any colour you like into a rattle can, they will also know all about what primers you will need ect.
Usually costs about $35 a can.

jenny188, Mar 30, 8:53pm
usually the gold color is a form of aluminum oxide and this makes the paint low on the durability scale. i.e., it tends to rub or wear off more quickly than standard oil based enamels. Possibly not the best paint for surfaces touched a lot.

lambrat, Mar 31, 12:24am
yes, thanks, i'm willing to take that risk.
i'm the only person going to use the drawers, and i also anyway need to touch up some big old quake-damaged plaster and wood picture frames with it.
so i'm very interested in whether a type &/or brand of paint is superior in any way, or hear anybody else's experience - good and bad - who has used it.

rednicnz, Mar 31, 3:04am
If you're confident using it, try gold car spray paint. Very tough.

lambrat, Mar 31, 6:18am
lol, i have a steady hand still, but the undercoat sealer i'm hoping to use (not buy anything new) is Taubmans Tradex Freesand Sealer Undercoat, could i spray it on over that?

lambrat, Apr 1, 5:05am
bump. for anyone else with experience using gold paint

jenny188, Apr 3, 1:01am
Taubmans Tradex means it' s made for the Commerical market as used in "the Trade". I'm not familiar with the Freestand range, but if it is oil based (clean up with turps), it is suitable . If it is latex or plastic based (clean / thin with water, as a base it's more "strechy" and not as good for your draws

lambrat, Apr 17, 10:32am
ok cheers for that, its probably not so good then. pity! its great sealer, so far i've used it on some wardrobe doors, but have yet to apply top coat colour.

sally63, Apr 18, 12:41am
I guess applying gold leaf would be too expensive? I am not sure how big the drawers are. It is certainly ideal for old picture frames.Or how about using a distressed French type paint finish using a suitable colour with some gold leaf distressing? The imagination is the limit really. Google paint finishes on Houzz or Pinterest and you might become inspired

macandrosie, Apr 20, 4:38am
Have you tried wetting the top of the drawers where the water mark is? You could give it a good even rub, then let it dry. May help the original water mark to blend in a bit more.

whitehead., Jan 28, 9:05pm
have a look at cans of spray on gold paint ive used it for hand crafts and i love it