Replacing Kickboard with Drawers

jan2242, May 16, 11:12am
Has anyone done this? How hard was it to remove the kickboard? I can't seem to see how mine is attached.

zak410, May 16, 12:07pm
Never seen it done and I don't think I would like to have drawers there.

But in newer kitchen the kickboards are just clipped-on; on older kitchens they may be screwed to the unit, check for screw plugs on the bottom of the units, or sometimes the base of cabinets were separate and the front of it would need to be cut to accommodate drawers.

No a good idea IMO.

hilt_dwane, May 16, 12:23pm
We have one below the stove. House is 7 years old, put in by kitchen guy during house build. I think the brand was Hafele. It doesnt have a drawer pull handle, you just put pressure on it and it springs open

geldof, May 16, 4:48pm
We had one years ago and used one part as a cat feeding station, and kept a step stool in the other part.

rednicnz, May 16, 6:06pm
I would love to do it, but our floor is not very level so it will take quite a skilled craftsman to get it looking good so I've let it slide. Great place to keep oven trays and other flat things. We have a drawer under the oven which is part of the cabinet (ie above the kickboard) which is very useful!

Our kickboard is screwed to something and has little stickers over the screw ends.

gabbysnana, May 16, 6:29pm
People use that area to store lots of things, modern kitchens have these secret compartments,

sprinter51, May 16, 6:59pm
Leave the "roaches" homes alone

stevo2, May 16, 7:16pm
I have installed quite a few kitchens with this feature. Called "Platter Drawers" Quite useful but difficult to fit into an existing kitchen.

hammer23, May 17, 11:03am
When I had my kitchen business I would often get requests like this. Any thing is possible but the bottom line always was the cost and I can't think of any of these types of jobs going ahead, for a new kitchen it will work but existing it is $$$$ all the way. Another unknown is that the base of the cabinets is where plumbers and electricians some times run there gear and you don't even want to touch that stuff.

daves01, May 17, 12:40pm
My inlaws have one of those secret compartments like you mention

supernova2, May 17, 9:22pm
Our (now ex) rental had a filler panel in the cabinet below the builtin oven. The tenant discovered that if you pulled hard enough it would come off and gave access to a nice space 600 x 600 x120. Guess what they used that space for ?
Then they broke the clips. Well what would you expect it was never designed to be a door but an access panel to get to the wiring so really and fit it and forget it panel. Twats!

christin, May 17, 9:35pm
You can buy oven cabinets now with a drawer below. Good for baking trays etc.

jan2242, May 18, 7:49am
I think mine are glued actually so will have to chat to my builder next time he's here. I wanted these for all the stuff rarely used and taking up space in the cupboards. Pickling jars, baking trays etc.

colin433, Jun 2, 3:26pm
my son builds motor homes in Aussie, and almost all of his jobs have drawers under all the kitchen cabinets. it's such a waste of valuable space when in confined areas, if not used to the fill advantage
Most of his jobs have 'different' ideas in them, one of the latest he did was for a paraplegic. It has a huge door in the side with a hoist fitted for a wheelchair, and inside, the hoist moves the guy from bed, to table, to bathroom, and from there to the outside, giving him an almost normal lifestyle (if you could call it that).
Son does all the work, be it the manufacture of special needs such as the hoist to the welding, cabinet making, plumbing, electrical, solar etc, with a signoff from the relevent professionals.

http://chriswrightmotorhomes.com.au/page1001.html

cookiebarrel, Jun 2, 6:28pm
colin433 those are awesome. Would really love one. now to win Lotto.

colin433, Jun 7, 8:23pm
LOL, was just showing some of the photos to a friend today, and she went into raptures

jan2242, Jun 8, 9:11am
colin433 - amazing. Tell hm to come over here.

ksam, Nov 2, 12:16pm
Agree with you and stevo, anything is possible with an open cheque book