Underbed drawers - single bed

mbi15, Jun 22, 6:46am
I'm wanting to get some under bed drawers for a single bed to replace the clothes drawers currently in the room.

But i think i would need a double layer of drawers and i cant seem to find any in NZ. The only ones I can find have one layer of drawers and another layer for the trundle bed

crazynana, Jun 22, 1:54pm
You could get some drawers made possibly by a joinery. My husband who is a joiner (but retired now) made our queen size bed base when it was a water bed, with drawers under. When we got rid of the water bed bladder etc. we just bought a nice thick inner sprung mattress and put it on the drawer base. The actual base is like a big flat drawer unit the length and width of a queen size bed.( it has drawers from each side but you would probably not do that for a single size) You could get it made two drawers high, but I don't know how cost effective it would be.

gilligee, Jun 22, 3:01pm
What about several plastic lidded bins that slide under the bed, appropriately chosen for the space.
Warehouse, Briscoes etc.

starseeker, Jun 22, 4:26pm
If you get drawers under a bed,make sure you have 'kick-space' (as in kitchen cupboards) so that your feet can fit under the bed a little way. Without it,making a bed is difficult, & caring for a sick person in bed is even worse.

hilt_dwane, Jun 24, 9:42am
Also take into account the depth of the bedside cabinet, this will be lost space otherwise you wont be able to open the drawer without first shifting the bedside cabinet.
Its actually not as wonderful as it sounds.
We got a king size bed from Harvey Norman and ordered the base with drawers. There is just one drawer on each side and in total they dont hold that much.

punkinthefirst, Oct 25, 2:49pm
Have a look at this DIY show. Simple drawer boxes on castors that you could make for yourself using plywood, at about 5 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U5HSvPL4KY