Installing skirting b4 or after gib stopping?

Page 1 / 2
mtbotrev, Apr 7, 12:18am
Hi. a basic question sorry. I have removed an internal wall seat/storage unit and installed gib generally okay.

I will be getting a plasterer in to do all the gib stopping soon.

I have bought new skirting. Does that go on after the gib stopping or before. Painting is not an issue as there is no carpet down where I took the unit out.

Ta.

zak410, Apr 7, 12:28am
either way is OK, but have to be more careful when putting skirtings after, not to crack internal corners.

rapids17, Apr 7, 1:15am
After stopping

laspaz, Apr 7, 1:16am
yep always after.

golfaholic2, Apr 7, 1:21am
As Zak said.

laspaz, Apr 7, 1:34am
How can you cleanly sand the joint right up the the skirting if you install it before hand?

mtbotrev, Apr 7, 2:02am
Thanx for replies. I will go with after. Will do cuts and fitting shortly and leave it till plasterer has been later this week hopefully.

johotech, Apr 7, 2:26am
Don't cut the skirting until after the gib stopping is finished as the size will be different because of the thickness of the stopping.

mtbotrev, Apr 7, 8:44am
ahha.

golfaholic2, Apr 7, 5:28pm
Detail sander . isn't hard

roys351, Apr 8, 8:09am
ha ha ha ha your joking right?

iluvmuse, Apr 8, 9:30am
must be why plasterers leave their detailing for the painter to finish

zak410, Apr 8, 10:36am
Personally I don??

brafe, Apr 8, 10:45am
To the trained eye it looks like shit, especially if you have a moulded skirting with thin top edge. Tapered plaster on top looks rubbish in the corners.

golfaholic2, Apr 8, 6:28pm
Each to their own , I prefer skirting which is dead straight . not flared where plaster is built up .
Sure , you can plane the back of the skirting , but then you are back to where you could have started with the skirting on first lol.

hammer23, Apr 8, 10:20pm
I can't believe what I am reading here. Ist principal of building, get the job done and get out of there and onto the next job. We would be run [laughed] out of town if we said sorry can't do the skirting till the gibstopper has been and we will be back when we can. Gimme a break I have been building since I left school, supplied untold housing companies and coming back to do the skirtings later just does not happen.

budgel, Apr 8, 10:32pm
I agree with Hammer.
Originally it was normal to fix the trim first because in the old days nailing could potentially cause cracking. That isnt really a problem now with finishing guns, but once the trim is on, the chippie is out of there and has no need to come back.

stevo2, Apr 9, 5:49am
Our housing is normally upmarket and as a rule, our skirtings go on after the gib stopping. Often the architraves are near corners and we have to leave the archs off or the stopper cant do a neat job of the corner. The skirtings go on after the architraves. We normally leave the stoppers to it and head outside to do the decks and exterior finishings or box up paths etc.
If the stopper cant make it on time or we are short of work, we will get in first.
There is no right or wrong answer, just different ways to achieve the end result. Just try to make everyones life a bit easier.

roys351, Apr 9, 6:52am
most of my work is new so the chippy hasent finished anyway. unless you think it is a good idea to fit bathrooms and kitchens b4 stopping

morrisjvan, Apr 9, 6:57am
skirtings go on last, if you do it the other way round ,you are just a rough prick.

roys351, Apr 9, 7:21am
very old school. most tradies try to make it easier for the next one I have been in the trade for over 30 years and have found the younger ones are far more considerate than the older ones. it takes a team to build a house not just your crew. but I can understand it if you only have one job on at the time

survivalkiwi, Apr 9, 7:55am
Im a builder with 30 years experiance. I build for a housing company.
When we finish gibbing (Yes we the builder gibs the house) We bugger off untill the stopper has finished and the come back and skirt and archatrave. Some times if we have time up our sleave we start arcs before stopper has sanded, (They love it.lol).
I am building my own house at the moment and will let the stopper have a free run before I go in. That way I can control the corner bumps left by the stopper by playing with my skirting and letting the painter fill any gaps left on top.

roys351, Apr 9, 8:14am
good on ya mate it all goes smoother when we work together

budgel, Apr 9, 8:33am
Of course not!

stevo2, Feb 9, 3:05am
Done that several times. Works a treat. Some have even had the walls and ceiling painted first.