Anyone cooking on charcoal. Tips & recipies here.

daryl14, Oct 31, 7:38am
Just cooked a very nice 2 kg lamb roast for tea. 2 hours over the long burn charcoal. I put a tin foil dish in between the coals and keep it topped up with beer to keep the meat moist.

I've put on water soaked wood chips and hand fulls of green herbs on the coal before but It still seems to lack the smokiness I am after.

We once cooked over some dried citrus wood and it was so smokey we felt like we are yearning to get that level again. Is that the key? Cooking over real wood? Anyone else cracked the code to getting good smoke infused meat on the BBQ?

paix1, Oct 31, 7:59am
Hell, you'e made me SO hungry! But I wouldn't know where to start with the charcoal BBQ.

mybooks, Oct 31, 10:28am
Are there leftovers? :-)

Place the wood chips, some rosemary twigs, etc., on foil or in an old frying pan or similar, just above the coals if possible, so they won't burn, and they'll smoke as they heat. Have the meat above that. No need to soak the wood chips as you need them to smoke - if they're damp they'll steam instead of smoking.
Cover the whole thing so the smoke stays around your meat as it cooks.

I've used a big old roasting dish over red coals, no flame, good smoky flavour, in this way:
Foil in the bottom of the dish
Use the wood chips, etc. no need to soak them as if wet it'll create steam when you want smoke. I used 1/2 cup jasmine rice and several rosemary sticks, spread over the foil.
A metal mesh cake rack over that, to keep the meat just above the smoking rice and rosemary.
Meat on the rack, and cover the whole dish with foil so smoke will circulate.
If the roasting dish has a lid, place that on top of the foil.
And enjoy smoky, tender and delicious lamb.

I've done pork this way too - a memorable dish, with incredible crackling, shared with friends.