Worm Farms - advice, tips, tricks etc etc

kirmag, Apr 23, 1:09am
Have finally got one set up. after any valuable info anyone has got.E.g.I have read citrus, onion and garlic is bad for them. what about feijoa skins!

wendalls, Apr 24, 9:23pm
If you don't feed them they escape. If you over feed you get fruit flies and rotting stuff. Left in the sun they fry. Left in worm tea they drown. Cover with damp newspaper. Chop up scraps as small as you can be bothered to. Never put in meat, fats or anything with wheat unless you want rodents. Vege waste is probably enough to sustain them. No dog poo if dog was wormed recently

smoocher, Apr 24, 11:47pm
I have had my worm farm for 14 years.
Onions garlic and citrus are not good for them. Dont put in meat or fish. Mine will eat almost anything, including the contents of the vacuum.
Feijoa skins are fine, as is all other fruit apart from citrus.
I dont put pumpkin seeds in as they tend to sprout.
I chop up anything big into smaller pieces as they can break it down quicker.
When we go on holiday I just add shredded newspaper to tide them over.
I cut the top off a 2 litre milk bottle, keeping the handle and use that under the tap to collect the worm wee.
Plants love the worm wee and the line of standard roses, from the street to the front door, are still flowering from a feed of worm castings in early spring. I feed the roses twice a year with the castings, but they are also great on the veggie garden.
I transferred some of the worms to the compost about 8 years ago and they are working away in there as well.
There are mixes you can put in to make them breed more, but I have never used them, as mine breed anyway.
Tiger worms live for 20 years.

figjamto, Apr 25, 12:33am
They love melon skins and coffee grounds (although not too much I have been told) .I have also put in melon seeds and they do sprout, but I just break off the spouts and lay them down .extra worm food

ro42, Apr 25, 1:38am
If you get flies, a handful of dolomite powder helps. And weeds are food for them too :)

daisy86, Apr 25, 7:29pm
I also have heard pineapple and kiwifruit are on the Do Not Feed list.Because they are used as meat tenderizers and break down protein.Not a nice way for a little worm to go!.

ninya, Apr 26, 12:10am
Oh, will have to try the dolomite tip.I'm new to worm farming and have been plagued by fruit and house flies from the bin.

pommyjohn1, Apr 26, 2:31am
A small piece of carpet on top and keep it damp is the best tip I have had

aloha3, Apr 26, 4:10am
I put everything in. Worms do not eat living things hence they don't eat seeds and they spout.

murfee, Apr 26, 7:38am
I put all vegetable matter in except citrus, onion or garlic. I use the coffee ground directly on my garden. I flush my worm farm about once a week and my garden thrives on the worm tea. Being made of black plastic I've put it out of direct sunlight. I cover the top with corrugated cardboard or layers of newspaper. If you can get it they adore the old style underfelt. I've found they take little care and give lots in return - and I no longer have a compost because everything is devoured by my tiger worms :-)

mebloodrunsblu, Apr 26, 9:07am
Blend everything up in the kitchen whiz, pour over worm farm,add carpet to the top, baby worm's love it.Milk bottle under spout, with the tap open.

sonja2, May 19, 4:43pm
have you ever thrown some seeds into your worm farm! Give them a few days, and take a look-they sprout in super quick time but will yellow off due to lack of light if you leave them in there more than a few days.