Glued down carpet on floorboards

simeon_, Aug 26, 8:42pm
Seems I have this throughout the carpeted areas in my house .it is 70sqm roughly. hoping someone has a good method they could share for removal. I will recarpet in time.I have removed a small are in the lounge it leaves a good layer of foam when lifting carpet. scraper gets most of it with elbow grease. but leaves thin layer still on floorboards.

delmic, Aug 26, 10:12pm
sharpen a spade. ive used a flat front edge one for vynel

simeon_, Sep 2, 3:39pm
ok ta.

apollo11, Sep 3, 6:51am
Jeez don't do what I did. Soaked a patch at a time in petrol until the glue turned to jelly, then scraped it off. A bit risky having petrol fumes in the house but it did work well. Probably killed off half my brain cells too.

mm12345, Sep 3, 8:20am
A "bit" risky? I'd put that in the "very" risky category myself.

mm12345, Sep 3, 8:24am
That, plus a bit of experimentation to find the right scraper.
A decent sized belt sander with 40 grit might effectively remove the traces of glue (if you even need to get rid of it before recarpeting), otherwise get a pro in to do it with a drum sander.

kiwinz04, Sep 3, 10:06am
Cut the carpet into 500mm strips before you pull it up. Scrape off the foamback with a 4" floor or wall scraper but turn the blade around to the dull side, this prevents the blade catching on your floor and snapping.

After scraping, the thin layer is fine to leave there when you re carpet as it would be likely your new stuff will be fitted on gripper and underlay

bjamkm1, Sep 4, 1:52am
Best to get floor grinder, hire from hirepool, or get floor layer to do it. This will leave floor clean , just like new!

apollo11, Oct 10, 6:03pm
Only for smokers :o).