Carpet for garage

dsdee, May 15, 11:38pm
Wondering what type of carpet and best way to lay please. Garage is 7x7.

jonners2013, May 15, 11:40pm
marine carpet.

missymoo1000, May 15, 11:56pm
You want a needle-punch carpet like this http://irvineflooring.co.nz/our-range/carpets/garage-boat.html as its durable, UV stable, mildew and rot resistant. The carpet is normally glued to the floor.

dsdee, May 16, 2:17am
Thank you both.

mrfxit, May 16, 8:50am
Do you know if the floor is water proofed underneath.
Most garage floors were not sealed until recent years which means you will get condensation seepage from below in winter.
"Raising damp"

nick2707, May 16, 8:55am
Could help you there - but it would be self promotion and I'd be in trouble from the message board police.

asue, May 16, 9:24am
Check your garage plans about how the floor is constructed - go to council if necessary to see. If it hasn't a moisture membrane of some form, carpet would be a waste of money. Go for a big roll out mat.

flea_sss, May 17, 12:22pm
I used carpet squares. Second hand from an office refurb. Work perfectly.

mrfxit, May 17, 9:07pm
Personally, I think it would take a lot of prep work to be worth it in the long run & to avoid any dampness related health issues.

Interior concrete foundations have to be prepped correctly before laying otherwise it's a moisture trap in winter.

For older garages, I would be inclined to clean & paint the floor surface, then lay a heavy sheet of polythene sheeting, then the carpet

dsdee, May 19, 7:55am
Thank you all for your input. The garage was built 14 years ago so should be ok. Thanks again

john26a, Jan 5, 10:43am
I did my garage floor with a sealer it was 2 parts one the paint second the harder, You mix it up with a drill paint it on the floor but you have a time limit on this before it goes hard. Once dry down went the carpet and no problems.