Painting bathroom laminate

pisces47, Jun 1, 9:39pm
Been up for 30 tears and fading from sun light. Thinking of giving it a very good sand to take off the surface glaze. then prep coat and paint. Trying a spare sample piece now. Has anyone done this. As Im sanding off the glaze I think it should be OK but would like your views Ta

budgel, Jun 2, 3:16am
Dont sand it too aggressively as you may destroy the waterproof coating.

A good clean with a scotchbrite pad and then seal with Zinsser smooth surface sealer, followed by your choice of enamel, oil or water based.

52many, Jun 2, 7:55am
You sound like you know what you are doing budgel. could I ask you a question along the same lines? We have 70's laminate. painted over with water based paint which is crap. I would like to re-paint with a washable, durable paint. Any advise is greatly appreciated. I thought Dulux, what do you think?

satellitespy, Jun 2, 8:23am
I am a painter 28 years experience, i would do exactly what budgel said,
any smooth surface sealer or etch primer to create that solid key for top coat to stick to , Zinsser is one of the better products,

kaddiew, Jun 2, 8:19pm
I used Zinsser smooth surface sealer on my lightly sanded, laminate kitchen cupboards before top coating with Resene water based enamel, and the top coat peels off like nail polish at the slightest knock.

budgel, Jun 2, 9:19pm
It sounds like you have made a mistake with your prep somehow, but it is impossible to tell what on an internet forum. Does the Zinsser come off as well as the topcoat?

budgel, Jun 2, 9:25pm
If the water based paint is flaking off, then removing it all and starting again is the only answer. If it just looks like crap but is wearing well, then a good wash with sugar soap and do as I suggested in the original post.
Water based enamels are very hard wearing, and you can get a couple of coats on in one day. Dont use washable wall paint on anything other than walls or ceilings!

kaddiew, Jun 3, 1:40am
Yes, right back to the laminate. I probably did do something wrong. I also found the Zinsser very difficult to use, as it was water-thin, and drying as it was being brushed or rolled on- even working quickly.

edjill41, Jun 3, 2:18am
Works a treat with Zinsser first coat. I actually used it in a shower (1980s) I wanted a temporary fix, cheaply. For top coat I used a Paving Paint- cos of the water it would be subjected to. Lasted 4 or 5 years looking good

yorkie13, Dec 24, 6:41am
I've just done our bathroom benchtop. lightly sanded the top with 22o grit sandpaper. used Resene smooth surface sealer. topcoat with Resene uracryl 403. it;s a 2 pack mix. came up super dooper. Tradie by the way.