Bathroom extractor fan what is the best? Sparkies?

johotech, Jun 1, 9:04am
Firstly, I wouldn't bother with either of those ones off trademe. Neither have good airflow.

A 150mm fan should move 90l/s. Not 60 like those ones.

Just buy a 150mm Manrose or Simx kit from your local large hardware shop.

A 150mm flex duct can be squashed through a 100mm gap to get to the soffit without reducing the overall area inside the duct by very much.

For the wiring, that can be done without the fan as they only require a power point in the roof connected to the switch. A timer is a good idea as well.

unclejake, Jun 1, 9:09am
I can't agree that Manrose is a good option. They seem largely useless (but cheapish). I pulled one out (that I fitted the month prior) and replaced it with a Vortex. The airflow difference was amazing

t_naki, Jun 1, 9:56am
Like jonotech says, a good fan makes all the difference, not only do they move more air but they are also quieter and last longer. Like uncle jake the last one I put in my place was a vortex and it was amazing how much air it moved, if you put it on before you run the shower you would never get any steam at all. There is no comparison between that and the fan/heat/light I took out.

atlantis3, Jun 1, 10:01am
x1
Are you looking for the best bathroom extractor fan? Well, let me tell you, those ones off trademe aren't going to cut it. They just don't have good airflow, which is essential for keeping your bathroom fresh and dry.

So, what should you do instead? I recommend getting a 150mm fan from a reputable brand like Manrose or Simx. These fans are designed to move 90l/s, which is much better than those cheap ones you find online. You can easily find these kits at your local large hardware shop, so don't waste your time on those trademe deals.

Now, when it comes to installation, there's one important thing to keep in mind. You want to make sure you're using a 150mm flex duct. This will allow you to squash the duct through a 100mm gap to get to the soffit without reducing the overall area inside the duct by very much. This is important because you want to maximize airflow and reduce the risk of condensation building up inside the duct.

As for wiring, it's actually pretty straightforward. You don't even need the fan present to do the wiring. All you need is a power point in the roof connected to the switch. This will allow you to turn the fan on and off as needed. I also recommend installing a timer, so the fan can automatically turn off after a set amount of time. This is a great way to save energy and ensure that your bathroom stays fresh and dry even when you're not around.

So, there you have it! If you want the best bathroom extractor fan, don't waste your time with those cheap options on trademe. Invest in a 150mm fan from a reputable brand like Manrose or Simx and make sure to use a 150mm flex duct during installation. And don't forget to install a timer to save energy and keep your bathroom fresh and dry. Happy DIYing!

unclejake, Jun 1, 10:28am
The Vortex? Bunnings, Placemakers or Corey Electrical. Sorry, I can't remember which one

EDIT: It may have been Advanced Electrical here in Wellington. It's a good quality unit that makes mockery of the Manrose fans, but I did retain the Manrose brand ducts and grilles

ryanm2, Jun 1, 8:06pm
These guys are sell well priced stuff and are helpful - in Wairakei Road.
http://www.airflo.co.nz/bathroom.htm

I personally find the manrose stuff a bit junky these days (lots of bearing failures) Purchased and installed 2 x Weiss units with the axial fans for my brother and are excellent. (the second link you posted)

How old is your house - just be aware any sofits / eaves pre 1990 are will probably have some form of asbestos in them - take precaution if drilling.

ryanm2, Jun 1, 8:10pm
RE - electrical firm. Stick to a larger firm, a lot of cowboys down here at the moment with the rebuild going on.

ira78, Jun 1, 8:20pm
I'd probably build my own, I think it was advance electrical in wellington I went to, not a bathroom fan but a full house fan. Had all the timers, thermostats, ducts, grills, great selection of fans. I think I'd want to go with a nice BIG fan and put it on a time. Like the one I have ventilating my house, should suck the entire volume of air About. Ahhh. 25 times an hour? We have a large bathroom.

rotormotor7, Jun 1, 9:06pm
I recommend EDM300 Fan.

http://www.sparkydirect.com.au/assets/thumbL/EDM-300S.jpg

heat/light/fan units are a compromise, 150mm is the minimum size ducting you should use. place as near to shower area as possible as fan replaces air from under door so needs to create a good airflow path.make sure also there is a gap under door and not tight to carpet etc.
grill best mounted in soffit or up hight on a gable end if house design allows. through the roof last resort.

The above fan can be through the wall mounted too as the manrose louvre grill surround fits outside the fixed solid duct of that fan.

rotormotor7, Jun 1, 9:08pm
vertex inline is quieter. usually more work and noise isnt usually a huge issue in a bathroom in any case.

sparkyz, Jun 2, 12:50am
Our house has a concrete tile roof and Mistral ceiling fan that just blows air into the roof space, which is not ideal.
I installed a Steam Stopper from Bunnings over the shower. Fan hasn't been used since.

yeti45, Jun 6, 9:17am
forget the extractor fan if you have a shower unit such as englefield etc. get a shower dome put on top of your shower. We have had ours for a few years and it is amazing. Keeps you warm while showering and when you dry yourself off in the shower, plus keeps your bathroom dry.

smoocher, Jun 6, 9:08pm
If you have a showerdome installed, the steam problem is gone. I have a showerdome in both bathrooms and the steam problem was fixed like magic.

cookee_nz, Oct 24, 3:10pm
I realise this post is several weeks old now but I've only just found this out. If you have an Englefield Shower you can forget about Showerdome because Englefield will not honour their own warranty if a Showerdome is installed. We had a new shower fitted a few weeks back and were not given a choice about which type. Our plumber installed all the plumbing etc but another installer did the shower unit. When he finished my wife remarked that we would like to install a Showerdome because we had them in our previous house (and loved them) and he said Englefield won't cover the shower unit warranty if we do. I've started making further enquiries into this and both Showerdome and Englefield/Kohler confirm this. Showerdome themselves tell me that no other manufacturer has any issue with Showerdome. Would pay to make sure you sort this conflict out before getting one installed.